Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Know when to treat yourself, KNOW WHEN TO CALL 911

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:42 PM
  • 7 Replies

Amish Mother Dies After Treating Burns With Home Remedy

A severely burned Amish woman, treated with home remedies for two days before her family called 911, died of the infected burns, a county coroner said on Thursday.

Ella Miller, 32, was heating water for laundry over a wood fire at her family's house in western Pennsylvania when her clothes caught fire as she was adding kerosene to the blaze, a report by Indiana County Coroner Michael Baker said, according to a spokeswoman.

After the accident in Smicksburg on Monday morning, Miller -- a mother of six children, ages 1 to 14 -- asked friends and family to treat her injuries at home, the report said. They applied home remedies before calling 911 on Wednesday morning.

An ambulance arrived, but paramedics realized they would be unable to revive her and called the coroner's office, the report said. Miller's body was taken to a hospital, where doctors performed an exam and X-rays but not an autopsy as foul play was not suspected.

The coroner's report said Miller had suffered first-, second- and third-degree burns but also developed septicemia, an overwhelming infection and suffered electrolyte imbalances that contributed to her death.

A phone number for Miller's family could not immediately be found.

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
chocolat-smiles
by Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:48 PM

bump

DangerDarling
by Fabulous on Jun. 5, 2011 at 1:15 AM

How scary!  

ecagle
by Kegel on Jun. 5, 2011 at 1:17 AM

She must have been in so much pain! Burns are not joke!

RissyLee
by Rissy on Jun. 5, 2011 at 1:22 AM

Scary!  That had to hurt so badly.. ouch!  Hopefully others will learn from this.  Trying to treat things at home can be a serious mistake sometimes.

When I was little I was playing with my brother and the neighbor kid.  I was probably about 7 or 8.  For some reason I was trying to get into the closet in our playroom.  Well, the closet had a door that automatically locked when you closed it.  My brother was chasing me and we were messing around.  Somehow that door ended up getting slammed on my finger.  Blood everywhere.  My dad came home early from work because my mom wanted to take me to the ER for stitches.  He convinced her I didn't need stitches and just bandaged me up.  It didn't hurt that bad, but my finger didn't heal correctly with not having the stitches.  Now I'm missing a corner of my finger tip and my nail looks like it grows crooked.  Had I actually gone to the ER, had stitches, and had a dr that made sure my finger healed properly, then I may not have to file my nail off crooked to make it look like it's straight.  If I file it straight then it looks really crooked because of my finger.

JessT5280
by Member on Jun. 5, 2011 at 3:59 AM
How awful. I feel bad for her family, I bet they're wishing they had done differently. :(

I do have to point out though...the last line of that article?
Of course they cant find a phone number! They're Amish!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stormcris
by Christy on Jun. 5, 2011 at 8:39 AM

Ok probably needed to read that but didn't need to read that. It really is important to know when it is bad.

Veni.Vidi.Vici
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Quoting stormcris:

Ok probably needed to read that but didn't need to read that. It really is important to know when it is bad.

It makes you angry and sad all at once. I know!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)