Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fan Tries to Catch Ball, Plunges to Death *updated story*

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:57 AM
  • 23 Replies

Fan dies in fall at Rangers game; Texas wins 6-0

Rangers pitcher Derek Holland came back from a poor start to throw a four-hit shutout.
Sharon Ellman/FORT WORTH STAR-TELEGRAM
Rangers pitcher Derek Holland came back from a poor start to throw a four-hit shutout.

ASSOCIATED PRESS

Updated: 11:44 p.m. Thursday, July 7, 2011

Published: 10:55 p.m. Thursday, July 7, 2011

— The Texas Rangers say a fan died after falling out of the stands while trying to catch a baseball tossed his way during the game.

Rangers president Nolan Ryan said after Thursday night's game that the team was "deeply saddened" to learn that the man "has passed away as a result of this tragic accident."

The Rangers did not identify the man; they said he fell about 20 feet.

Derek Holland rebounded from his shortest outing ever with a four-hitter for his third career shutout and Josh Hamilton had four RBIs for the Rangers in a 6-0 victory over the Oakland Athletics.

The fan fell head-first and landed behind a 14-foot-high wall supporting a video board that shows replays and scores from other games.

The accident happened in the second inning after Oakland's Conor Jackson hit a foul ball that ricocheted into left field. Rangers outfielder Hamilton retrieved the ball and tossed it into the stands.

Replays on Oakland's television broadcast show the man reaching for the ball and apparently catching it before tumbling.

The area where the fan landed is out of sight from the field. There is a gap of several feet between the 14-foot wall and front row of seats, which are only slightly higher than the wall.

The Rangers said the fan was taken to a Fort Worth hospital after getting medical attention from ballpark staff.

Last July at Rangers Ballpark, a fan fell 30 feet from the second deck of seats down the first base side while trying to catch a foul ball. That fan suffered a fractured skull and sprained ankle.

Holland (7-4) struck out seven and walked two while allowing only four singles. The left-hander had allowed five runs and four hits while getting only two outs in his previous start Saturday night against Florida.

Hamilton drove in a run in each of his first four at-bats, putting Texas ahead to stay with an RBI groundout in the first. The outfielder, who is set for his fourth consecutive All-Star start next week, added a run-scoring single in the third before two sacrifice fly balls after that.

This was the makeup of a May 11 game that was rained out after Texas built a 7-0 lead through four innings.

Rich Harden (1-1) gave up five runs and eight hits over five innings in his second start of the season for the Athletics.

Washington stands by criticism of umpire

Rangers manager Ron Washington isn't backing down from his criticism of umpire Angel Hernandez, even though the AL All-Star manager already expects to be fined for an on-field confrontation and postgame comments about the ump.

After Washington and first-base coach Gary Pettis were both ejected from Sunday night's 6-4 loss to Florida by Hernandez, the Rangers skipper said, "Angel is bad. That's all there is to it."

Washington reiterated his feelings about Hernandez when asked about the ejections and his comments before Monday's game against Baltimore, the start of a new series with a different umpiring crew.

"I'm gonna get fined for what I told Angel. And they might add to it because of what I said about Angel," Washington said. "But, hey, the truth is the truth."

Pettis was tossed in the seventh inning Sunday after arguing that Florida reliever Michael Dunn balked on a play when Nelson Cruz was caught stealing.

Support Shown for Fallen Firefighter

Friday, 08 July 2011 13:40 | Written by Ray Tipton | PDF | Print | E-mail
Local News

ShannonStoneArea residents, Texas Ranger fans, and individuals across the country have been moved by the news of the death of Brownwood firefighter Lt. Shannon Stone. The tragic accident has been the focus of local, state, and national news outlets and has generated numerous requests from the public wanting to help the family.

Brownwood City Hall officials report that they have received a large volume of calls from individuals across the state and country wanting to donate in support of the Stone family. BrownwoodNews.com has also received numerous email requests wanting to know how they can help support the family.

As an example, one request reads: I am an avid Rangers fan and I can tell you the Ranger family is in mourning over the death of Mr. Stone. We are looking for information about a memorial fund that may have been set up.

City officials state that they are looking into setting up a memorial fund and will release information on how to contribute to the fund as soon as it is available.

Area residents and officials are stunned at the news of 39-year-old Shannon Stone's death after falling about 20 feet from the stands during the Rangers game. Stone was with his 6-year-old son at the time.

At a press conference Friday in Brownwood, Mayor Stephen Haynes, Fire Chief Del Albright, and City Manager Bobby Rountree discussed the tragic events that took place at Rangers Ballpark in Arlington last night.

Shannon Stone was described as a dedicated firefighter and devoted father rarely seen without his son, sometimes even bringing him to work.

Mayor Haynes that he was at the game last night, and commented that most people in the ballpark didn't even know Stone had passed away until after the game. Haynes said that a loud gasp could be heard throughout the ballpark when Stone fell.

Firefighters and police officers are holding a Benefit Barbecue for Shannon Stone's family Friday, July 8 at 3 p.m. at the Law Enforcement Center, 1050 W Commerce.

The Cleburne High School Class of 1990 also said that they are hosting a "Celebrate Shannon's Life" event next Friday, July 15th, at the Caddo Street Grill in Cleburne. Donations raised will go to the Stone family. Shannon Stone grew up in Cleburne where he still has many friends.

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:05 AM

Sad but I heard it was a child. Maybe it was a teen who knows it is just sad!

stringtheory
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:06 AM
Wth, is this article about a tragic accident or the Rangers' stats?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:12 AM

I know right pretty messed up at that!

Crick3tt
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:39 AM
It was a man, his son was there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Xia
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:29 AM
Yeah, seriously! It was about the stats and ejections with light sprinkings of a death in the stands.

Quoting stringtheory:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofhnd
by Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:35 PM

It was a man that lived here in my town.. He was a local firman who wanted to spend the day with his son, It was just him and the boy, his son saw the whole thing happen.

AmmuJSE
by Ammu on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:37 PM

sorry, it was the first video I came across without a video telling the story.

Quoting stringtheory:

parrishsky
by Maxfield on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:38 PM

I saw that on the news this morning. Son watched as his dad fell 20 feet. Likely died instantly. It's very sad.

momofhnd
by Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:42 PM

No He died at the hospital he was on the ground telling people to take care of Conner ( his son). He died at the hospital he went into cardiac arrest and also died of blunt force trama to the head

Quoting parrishsky:

I saw that on the news this morning. Son watched as his dad fell 20 feet. Likely died instantly. It's very sad.

AmmuJSE
by Ammu on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:42 PM

No, he was awake and conscious on the way to the hospital. even asked people to make sure his son was okay.

He died at the hospital.

Quoting parrishsky:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)