Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

District of Columbia Paid for 300 Abortions, Thanks to Obama and Democratic Congressional Leaders

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 5:59 AM
  • 53 Replies

Just as we were about to post National Right to Life News Today, a story came across the wire described as an “AP Exclusive.” I have just a few minutes to encapsulate the story, the gist of which was captured nicely by the headline: “DC paid for 300 abortions for low-income women before Congress forced city halt.”

Except for a very brief period, prior to the 2008 election of pro-abortion President Obama and concomitant Democratic control of both houses of Congress, there was a ban on the District of Columbia paying for abortions going back to 1988. That ban was lifted in 2009 and lasted until the ban was re-imposed last April.

During the two years Congress allowed the District of Columbia (jurisdictionally, a federal enclave) to spend money on elective abortions the city spent $185,000 for 300 abortions, according to the Associated Press (AP).

“The responsibility for these 300 government-funded abortions rests squarely with President Obama, who urged Congress to lift the longstanding ban in 2009, and with Democratic leaders Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid, who rammed through the repeal without allowing roll call votes on the issue in either house of Congress,” said NRLC Legislative Director Douglas Johnson. “Some of these unborn children would be alive today, if it had not been for the Obama-dictated change in policy.”

Johnson noted that when Obama ran for President, “he said he would push policies to reduce abortions, but this is one of many examples in which his pro-abortion actions belie those empty words.  Thanks to Speaker John Boehner and other House Republican leaders, the pro-life ban was restored during negotiations last spring — but we can expect renewed clashes over the issue during the months ahead.”

The details about the District of Columbia are known only because the AP filed a Freedom of Information Act request–and the fact that “The number of abortions the city now says it paid for contrasts with previous statements.”

Mayor Vincent Gray told Congress in May that the number of abortions was 117, according to the AP. The mayor’s office agreed the 300 figure was accurate and explained the “discrepancy” to bills not being submitted on time. Notably “City spokeswoman Doxie McCoy said that the exact number of abortions the city paid for could still rise because claims are still being processed.”

http://www.nationalrighttolifenews.org/news/2011/07/district-of-columbia-paid-for-300-abortions-thanks-to-obama-and-democratic-congressional-leaders/

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 5:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jessilin0113
by Ruby Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:41 AM

Do you pay taxes in DC? 

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:56 AM

Awesome...I will invite them to our liberal abortion party!!

danie24
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:02 AM

Thank you, Obama and Democratic Congressional Leaders!

Momto3Ds
by Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:13 AM
@@ Let's blame Obama for what Casey did too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovinangels
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:24 AM

Were those federal tax dollars?

jessilin0113
by Ruby Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:27 AM

No.  Federal tax dollars are prohibited from being used for paying for elective abortions.  This was state funds.

Quoting lovinangels:

nanaofsix531
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:29 AM

More than a third of the city's some 600,000 residents get health care through Medicaid or the D.C. HealthCare Alliance. That has meant that when Congress has prevented the city from covering abortions, poor women seeking them have had to come up with hundreds of dollars for the procedures themselves. A non-profit group called the DC Abortion Fund will help defray some or all of the cost, as will the city's chapter of Planned Parenthood, but the women still generally have to come up with a portion of the expense.

DC Abortion Fund president Tiffany Reed said being able to use a Medicaid card made getting an abortion easier for a poor woman than at any other time. Laura Meyers, chief executive officer of Planned Parenthood of Metropolitan Washington, D.C., said it also gave the woman dignity. Now, she said, women often have to cobble together funds from multiple sources, which may take time and mean getting an abortion later, increasing her health risk.

lovinangels
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:41 AM

If it's state tax dollars, why would Congress step in?

Quoting jessilin0113:

No.  Federal tax dollars are prohibited from being used for paying for elective abortions.  This was state funds.

Quoting lovinangels:

I'm giving away an amazing free hand sanitizer and a free bottle of organic raw honey on my blog.

resamerie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:43 AM

OK. Where is the link from AP for this  'exclusive'? This is just someone saying that the AP ran this story. This person got an exclusive and doesn't print it? Just tells you what was supposed to have been said? Any good journalist would have ran the article. If I had a dollar for every BS story the pro-life sites have ran.........

lovinangels
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:44 AM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post_now/post/during-two-year-window-dc-covered-costs-for-300-abortions-for-low-income-women/2011/07/07/gIQA5FZZ2H_blog.html

Quoting resamerie:

OK. Where is the link from AP for this  'exclusive'? This is just someone saying that the AP ran this story. This person got an exclusive and doesn't print it? Just tells you what was supposed to have been said? Any good journalist would have ran the article. If I had a dollar for every BS story the pro-life sites have ran.........

I'm giving away an amazing free hand sanitizer and a free bottle of organic raw honey on my blog.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)