Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Public assistance and public opinion

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:08 AM
  • 14 Replies

I know this family.  The mom works full time making about $15/hour.  The dad was in the Army for a few years but got a medical discharge and is now a full-time student.  He gets BAH (military housing allowance) of about $1000 while he is in school, plus a disability payment of $232 (that is due to double in about 2 years).  They have two kids, one just finished kindergarten and will be going to school all day in the fall.  The other will be 3 in a few months, about the same time she is set to delivery her 3rd child.  She will have to go back to work, which means 2 kids in daycare, most likely full time.  They have never used public assistance, except for 2 months on WIC when he was in the military.  With the birth of their third baby, they will qualify financially for many benefits.  They have always had enough to scrape by with some luxuries (internet, dining out once in a while, movies, etc), and aren't the best in terms of budgeting, but can make all their payments, and only occasionally have to borrow from family when the next payday is a little too far away.  However, something like a blown tire can be a financial crisis, as the extra money just isn't there.  The luxuries aren't outrageous, or out of their budget so much that NOT doing them would save them a ton of money.  They are considering getting some benefits while he is in school full time to help make ends meet a little easier.  They are hoping for some child care assistance and maybe $150 in food stamps.  What's your opinion of this? 

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Light.Shine
by Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:10 AM

It's easy to judge from the outside so I don't really have an opinion...I don't know what bills they have( medical bills, etc) and I'm not living their life...I hope they are okay and good on him for going to school...a lot of veterans do not take the opportunity to do so.

GLWerth
by Gina on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:15 AM

The social safety net is there for a reason. If they qualify and it will improve the quality of their lives, then they should go for it.

othermom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:15 AM

It is hard to say with out knowing the bills they have. In the state or oregon atleast you can go online and find out if you might qualify.  I think if a person needs help then that is fine to use help. I have gotten help off and on in the past. I think right now it might be tough getting the child care help since the economy is so bad.

beka83
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:15 AM
My take is that you only know what they have told you... I can tell you one thing but reality can be so much different. What does it matter? We will all still pay our taxes and live our lives just as we have always done. Judging someone else on what they may or may not due is not our place...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:07 AM

I always wonder how someone knows so intimately, the financial intricacies of another person. How come he recieves so little in disability?  

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:33 AM

Quoting EireLass:

I always wonder how someone knows so intimately, the financial intricacies of another person. How come he recieves so little in disability?  

It depends on how long you were in. My sister was discharged with a disability and only receives around 2-300 a month. She was an E4 when she was discharged. It goes by a percentage of what you were making and increases with inflation. There are also percentages of disability. Also, just because you receive the disability pay from the military doesn't mean you will or can qualify for SSD.

Carmel63
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:49 AM

I have no opinion about this.  It is their business, not mine, or anyone elses.  They have three kids, and do not make much money.  If they qualifiy for any assistance, they should take it/

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Quoting TruthSeeker.:
Quoting EireLass:

It depends on how long you were in. My sister was discharged with a disability and only receives around 2-300 a month. She was an E4 when she was discharged. It goes by a percentage of what you were making and increases with inflation. There are also percentages of disability. Also, just because you receive the disability pay from the military doesn't mean you will or can qualify for SSD.

And I suppose they would add to it if it were caused by military duty. Dan is a 100% disabled Vet.  

getting_by_ok
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:51 AM

I am a conservative about this, and I say go for it. This is a hard working family who needs a little help up. It's that minority of people who use the system over and over and still cry that they are 'poor' and 'can't get ahead' who cause the grief.  With that said, I hope they get some budgeting help so they can get off asap. 

OHgirlinCA
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:56 AM

If they qualify, I see nothing wrong with it.  It sounds like they're trying to better their situation and if they're successful at that, they won't be on assistance for long.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)