Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A Question for Conservative Right Wing Christians - PIOG

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:25 AM
  • 39 Replies

So this past weekend I was at my in-laws house and somehow the topic of immigration came up. Some of the people there are conservative Christians while others are non-religious, A-political (myself included). The conservative Christians in the room (BIL and SIL) started saying that the border patrol need to just start killing immigrants who are trying to cross the border illegally... "shoot first, ask questions later". One of the conservative Christians said "if we killed all of them before they could cross the border it would solve all of our country's problems".

So I guess my question is, to right-wing Christians (not Christians in general, but specifically ones who agree with the statements above), is how can you justify this type of killing? Doesn't it contradict the teachings of Jesus? WWJD?? Where is the compassion? Or do your religious beliefs take a backseat to your political beliefs depending on the issue?

They are both former military, maybe that has something to do with it? Not a lot of compassion and seem very enthralled with violence. They love violent movies, are very harsh (physically) in how they discipline their 2-year-old old little girl, and are very, very judgmental and (now apparently) racist too. I feel pretty uncomfortable when spending time with them. Not sure how my SO and his brother grew up in the same home and came out with such opposite perceptions of life.

I know that all Christians don't think this way. I'm just looking for some insight into the reasoning behind why some do. After all, these people will be in my life for a long time to come!

Quote for the day:

A religious awakening which does not awaken the sleeper to love has roused him in vain.
~ Jessamyn West

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GLWerth
by Gina on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:40 AM

OH, I feel your pain.

My DH comes from a family with six children. He and his brother are mostly pacifist liberals. His three sisters and other brother are all rabid anti-immigration folks who do think that way.

They are the ones in the front row of church every Sunday.

My own two brothers are the same way. One of my brothers actually thinks the best way to deal with Iraq and Afghanistan is to nuke them and all of the neighboring countries....pretty much wipe out the Middle East except for Israel.

They are both in church every Sunday and they thank Jesus for everything....even as they go against his teachings constantly.

Oh, and I hope you're not expecting an answer from those RW Christians, you probably won't get it.

Charlenelna
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:49 AM

Wow that is just sad! I don't understand that way of thinking either, but I am not a conservative right wing. 

OHgirlinCA
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:51 AM

I come from a very conservative Republican military family and none of them would be ok with killing immigrants while they're trying to cross the border illegally.  While they're against people coming here illegally, they also have compassion for these people.  They understand that if they were in the immigrants shoes, they may try the same thing.  They understand that doesn't make those immigrants bad people, necessarily.  I don't think most people would get behind the killing reasoning, and those that do aren't thinking straight.

Ziva65
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:54 AM

I don't agree with their statement, though I firmly believe we need to block our borders.

However, the question seems to imply that they believe that because they are "right wing Christians." One isn't the cause of the other.

Maybe ask them that question?

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:59 AM
Quoting ashers_mommy99:

The conservative Christians in the room (BIL and SIL) started saying that the border patrol need to just start killing immigrants who are trying to cross the border illegally... "shoot first, ask questions later". One of the conservative Christians said "if we killed all of them before they could cross the border it would solve all of our country's problems".

If only humans were sacred to Christians in the same way that cows are sacred in India.

ashers_mommy99
by Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Oh yeah I forgot to mention, my BIL also thinks we should nuke the middle east... yeah go figure I guess the men, women and children in a huge part of the world aren't God's children like Americans... make no sense at all...

Quoting GLWerth:

OH, I feel your pain.

My DH comes from a family with six children. He and his brother are mostly pacifist liberals. His three sisters and other brother are all rabid anti-immigration folks who do think that way.

They are the ones in the front row of church every Sunday.

My own two brothers are the same way. One of my brothers actually thinks the best way to deal with Iraq and Afghanistan is to nuke them and all of the neighboring countries....pretty much wipe out the Middle East except for Israel.

They are both in church every Sunday and they thank Jesus for everything....even as they go against his teachings constantly.

Oh, and I hope you're not expecting an answer from those RW Christians, you probably won't get it.

ashers_mommy99
by Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:44 AM

You're right... one doesn't cause the other... but I am just wondering, the only people I've ever heard make statements like this happen to be right-wing Christians... why is that?? I just want to understand... because when you look at the teachings of Jesus you would NEVER think that his "followers" would hold views like these... even up here is liberal Seattle, one of the most popular Christian churches (Mars Hill) is known for its bigotry... I just don't understand. Jesus wasn't a bigot... know what I'm saying? He was enlightened, accepting of all, held no judgment. Only LOVE. That was his message, was to LOVE. How do people misconstrue that so much and use their religion as an excuse for HATE??

Not saying all Christians are like that. just some of them...

Quoting Ziva65:

I don't agree with their statement, though I firmly believe we need to block our borders.

However, the question seems to imply that they believe that because they are "right wing Christians." One isn't the cause of the other.

Maybe ask them that question?

YvonnesMommy
by Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Are you sure that they weren't kidding?  That is a pretty harsh statement, even for prior military.  I don't agree with that statement about shooting first then ask questions later but I do believe the borders need to be beefed up... A LOT.  We are the only country that does not have a militarized border.  How stupid is that?!?

ashers_mommy99
by Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:50 AM

I'm absolutely positive they weren't kidding. I've been around them a lot and they totally think this way. We had to stay with them for a week while we were waiting for our house to close. One of the most awkward weeks of my life... LOL

Quoting YvonnesMommy:

Are you sure that they weren't kidding?  That is a pretty harsh statement, even for prior military.  I don't agree with that statement about shooting first then ask questions later but I do believe the borders need to be beefed up... A LOT.  We are the only country that does not have a militarized border.  How stupid is that?!?

Charlenelna
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Quoting YvonnesMommy:

Really? Cause I live in Europe and we drive freely to Belgium to France to Luexemburg to the Netherlands, to Austria and Germany with no border patrol at all, never once have we had to stop or show passports or anything, I didn't even know we had crossed the border.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)