Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

PLANKING IS RACIST!!!

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:57 PM
  • 675 Replies

Poll

Question: Is Planking Racist?

Options:

YES

NO

OTHER (please explain)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 135

View Results

It's the latest craze taking over the Internet -- lying face down in bizarre places, stiff as wood -- but rapper Xzibit is leading a new charge AGAINST "planking" ... claiming the practice has RACIST roots.

Xzibit took to his Twitter recently, claiming, "Planking is THE dumbest sh*t ever. Planking was a way to transport slaves on ships during the slave trade, its not funny. Educate yourselves."

The rapper adds, "Dont get it twisted. I care less where your dumb asses lay face down and take pictures of the sh*t, I'm just telling you where it came from."

It's all probably news to Katy Perry, Demi Moore, Rosario Dawson, Chris Brown, and Justin Bieber -- who have ALL posted pics of themselves online ... looking board.

http://www.tmz.com/

ETA:

Dedicated hipsters will have heard of planking years ago. Though it is now biggest in Australia, it is an English – some would say, quintessentially English – creation. It began 14 years ago with a pair of bored kids. Gary Clarkson, then 15, and his friend Christian Langdon, 12, would perform the plank in public places, amusing one another and baffling onlookers. Back then, it was known simply as the Lying Down Game. It was a pointedly pointless way for the boys to pass the time. As Clarkson puts it: "It was just a really stupid, random thing to do."

For its first 10 years planking spread at a snail's pace, from Clarkson and Langdon to their friends at school and, after a while, on to other kids from the neighbourhood. Then, in 2007, when the pair created a Facebook group for their game, the pace accelerated. Soon, they had a few thousand followers. Photographs of plankers trickled in from all over the world: American plankers on the tops of their televisions, British plankers in trees, and Europeans on country roads and the banks of fjords.

The craze began to garner its first major press coverage in September 2009, when a group of seven accident-and-emergency staff were suspended pending disciplinary hearings for playing the game while on a night shift at the Great Western Hospital in Swindon. They had been planking on resuscitation trolleys, ward beds, floors and even the helipad. They might not have been caught had they not then posted the photos to Facebook, under the slightly self-defeating name The Secret Swindon Emergency Department Group. An employee of the hospital's governing body told the press: "It reflects badly on the department and some people may lose their jobs."

Things escalated. A few days later, in Stoke-on-Trent, a mass gathering of plankers for a simultaneous lie down attracted more than 100 people. The photos posted to Facebook became bolder and more bizarre. One audacious airport worker performed the plank in the idle engine fan of a jet plane.

It's not clear – and Clarkson and Langdon don't remember – where exactly the idea for planking came from. Some commenters have linked the practice to the 1995 video for the Radiohead song, Just. In the video, a man lies down on a busy London road and a crowd of strangers gather to try to understand and help him. He refuses to move, or to tell them why he's lying there. They persist, and eventually he relents. He tells them – but not us, the viewers – and all we see, in a long slow punchline of a shot, is that now the entire crowd is lying down on the pavement as well. Whether the video is the inspiration or not, it captures something of planking's essence. "People generally think you're mad," as creator Gary Clarkson puts it. "That's sort of the point."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/may/16/planking-a-brief-history

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rnjMOM
by Rachel on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:57 PM

I just saw this on TMZ... This is the first time I have heard anyone say it is racist. I think it is dumb either way.

Charlenelna
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:58 PM

Wha...? Never heard of it. 

TwisterMonkey
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:59 PM

I think its stupid, but I don't think its racist.  But, there is someone out there who will find anything racist.

alicia.bear
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:01 PM
Except on the slave ship they were face up. When you plank, you're face down.

Planking was created (i believe, please correct me if i'm wrong) by two bored, australian teenagers
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rnjMOM
by Rachel on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Quoting alicia.bear:

Planking was created (i believe, please correct me if i'm wrong) by two bored, australian teenagers

I found this: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/may/16/planking-a-brief-history

Though it is now biggest in Australia, it is an English – some would say, quintessentially English – creation. It began 14 years ago with a pair of bored kids. Gary Clarkson, then 15, and his friend Christian Langdon, 12, would perform the plank in public places, amusing one another and baffling onlookers. Back then, it was known simply as the Lying Down Game. It was a pointedly pointless way for the boys to pass the time. As Clarkson puts it: "It was just a really stupid, random thing to do."

For its first 10 years planking spread at a snail's pace, from Clarkson and Langdon to their friends at school and, after a while, on to other kids from the neighbourhood. Then, in 2007, when the pair created a Facebook group for their game, the pace accelerated. Soon, they had a few thousand followers. Photographs of plankers trickled in from all over the world: American plankers on the tops of their televisions, British plankers in trees, and Europeans on country roads and the banks of fjords.

Thomigirl
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:11 PM

(Sigh)  The lack of knowledge in the history of planking is what disturbs me in this entire craze.

Wow...

MMS84
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:15 PM

Um, slaves were also forced to do back breaking work in the fields all day. Am I going to stop gardening all day because it RESEMBLES something that the slaves were forced to do? Nope.

AmmuJSE
by Ammu on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:16 PM

popcorn

Quoting MMS84:

Um, slaves were also forced to do back breaking work in the fields all day. Am I going to stop gardening all day because it RESEMBLES something that the slaves were forced to do? Nope.

SuperChicken
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Breathing is racist.  Slaves breathed.

lili_monkey
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:23 PM
Planking is extremely dumb either way, lol. When my husband first told me about it I laughed so hard, I couldn't believe people were actually doing that.
People have waasaaay too much time on their hands! Way too much!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)