Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you ever been afraid to...

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:11 PM
  • 26 Replies

Take your child to the er because you felt the injury looks suspicious?

To call poison control because you felt responsible the kid got the cleaner?

I have.   I had terrible axiety when my grandson turned the glass cleaner up and tried to drink it.  I dont believe he drank any but I hated calling poison control.  He was not in my custody yet and all kinds of thoughts ran through my head.  Being responsible and somewhat stable I of course made the call.  better safe than sorry.  but that does not discount the anxiety I experienced.

Yesterday my boy got his nose broken.  They were sword fighting and had put a piece of a toy on a pole for a stupid limbo set they never played limbo with and the toy was flung into Bs nose with force.  The mark is circular and I thought it may need stitched.

No stitches , just a butterfly, but the one lady said she needed to see the toy.  Now I took it and produced it from my puurse but what if I hadnt have had it?  

I know preventing abuse is an important cause but sometimes it feels like a witchhunt.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darkpoetess
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:22 PM
I understand where you are coming from.. Things in life happen .. That is why they have the Poison Control .. I've had to call it a couple of times .. It is good to have those hotline numbers .. Hang in there .. And Hugs .. But remember accidents happen .. It doesn't mean you are a bad parent .. I can't remember any parent that is "perfect" .. Keep doing what you are doing and the kids best interest ..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MMS84
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:24 PM

My son ate an entire stick of chapstick and I called poison control to be safe and when they asked for all my info I had this split second of panic. I get it.

jessilin0113
by Ruby Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:29 PM
I totally get it. I hate taking my oldest to the doctor for his checkups because he's extremely modest and hides his privates and I'm afraid the doctor will think he's molested or something.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BrookieCookie1
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:31 PM

No, because (knock on wood) i have not been in that position. However, a few years back, I had a terrible abscess. I went to the ER, which was empty, due to a snowstorm. Anyway, they take me back and I sit in an exam room for over 3 hours. My ex and I strated bickering a bit, mostly because the whole situation was frustrating. What they do send back is a social worker, to tell me that my then 10 week old son looks "well" and "big'. WTF?? I ended up leaving about 30 minutes after that, and going to another hospital the next day, where I was rushed into emergency surgery because I was thisclose to becoming septic. God i hated that first hospital, and yes, I bet I would feel as you've described if something happened to my kids.

survivorinohio
by René on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:31 PM

Quoting MMS84:

My son ate an entire stick of chapstick and I called poison control to be safe and when they asked for all my info I had this split second of panic. I get it.

Ya thats what I mean.  Thats about what it lasted, a split second and the operator was very perceptive and kind.  This happened several yrs ago, and it was scary in a few ways, first cuz you dont want them hurt and then that sudden pang.  

I actually had to call twice for B, once for glass cleaner and once for deodorant, vanilla deodorant that smelled yummy lol.  B is 7 now and has been over that for a while but he was very quick when he was 2 lol.  I was right there both times! I was washing a window with him by my side the first time andthe second I was a foot away and he grabbed it and took a bite.  They can be very fast .  I got many many things out of his hands in time though:)

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

survivorinohio
by René on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:35 PM

Quoting darkpoetess:

I understand where you are coming from.. Things in life happen .. That is why they have the Poison Control .. I've had to call it a couple of times .. It is good to have those hotline numbers .. Hang in there .. And Hugs .. But remember accidents happen .. It doesn't mean you are a bad parent .. I can't remember any parent that is "perfect" .. Keep doing what you are doing and the kids best interest ..

Thanks for the hug.  This isnt even my first rodeo.  I have been at this 30 yrs but I do think the climate has changed.

darkpoetess
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:35 PM
I'm sorry you went thru that .. I am not too please with the health care in my local town .. But mine started 6 years ago and it turned out after I went to a clinic out of state is where I was diagnosis with a rare autoimmune disease .. They forgot to tell me my lab results of me having a elevated Alk Phos everyone I went into the ER .. Grrrr .. So I feel ya about ER's ..

Quoting BrookieCookie1:

No, because (knock on wood) i have not been in that position. However, a few years back, I had a terrible abscess. I went to the ER, which was empty, due to a snowstorm. Anyway, they take me back and I sit in an exam room for over 3 hours. My ex and I strated bickering a bit, mostly because the whole situation was frustrating. What they do send back is a social worker, to tell me that my then 10 week old son looks "well" and "big'. WTF?? I ended up leaving about 30 minutes after that, and going to another hospital the next day, where I was rushed into emergency surgery because I was thisclose to becoming septic. God i hated that first hospital, and yes, I bet I would feel as you've described if something happened to my kids.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darkpoetess
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:37 PM
NP. Life is hard but rewarding .. Stay strong ..

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting darkpoetess:

Thanks for the hug.  This isnt even my first rodeo.  I have been at this 30 yrs but I do think the climate has changed.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darkpoetess
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:38 PM
For the past 5 years cause I had frequent ER visits .. * forgot to add ..

Quoting darkpoetess:

I'm sorry you went thru that .. I am not too please with the health care in my local town .. But mine started 6 years ago and it turned out after I went to a clinic out of state is where I was diagnosis with a rare autoimmune disease .. They forgot to tell me my lab results of me having a elevated Alk Phos everyone I went into the ER .. Grrrr .. So I feel ya about ER's ..

Quoting BrookieCookie1:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RissyLee
by Rissy on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:39 PM

Thankfully, I haven't been in that position yet.  I have been scared to take my son out in public twice because of him bruising his face.  He's fell into a coffee table once when trying to walk and then a couple weeks ago fell onto a toy when he was standing there waving it around and knocked himself off balance.  He's given himself two black eyes (they weren't that bad.. just a little discolored) and he's not even a year old yet :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)