Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

CEO: Monthly ‘problems’ why women earn less

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:21 PM
  • 29 Replies

msnbc.com

updated 7/6/2011 7:02:52 PM ET 2011-07-06T23:02:52

The head of a business group has been fired after asserting that menstruation makes women less productive in the workplace than men.

Alasdair Thompson, chief executive of New Zealand's Employers and Manufacturers Association, made the comments during a radio debate.

The BBC reported that Thompson sparked controversy by suggesting that women earned less than men because "once a month they have sick problems." He added that when women become mothers "they have to take time off to go home" to look after their children.

Story: Politician's 'meow' sparks sexism spat

Thompson told radio station NewstalkZB that he was not sexist and insisted that his comments were the "facts of life."

"Who takes the most sick leave?" he asked during the radio show on June 23. "Women do, in general."

'Unacceptable'
In a statement, the EMA's board said it "considered this matter for some time" and felt that Thompson was "no longer able to continue" in the role.

According to the BBC, Women's Affairs Minister Hekia Parata said Wednesday that Thompson's remarks were "unacceptable to a wide range of people."

But Helen Kelly, president of the Council of Trade Unions, told Newstalk ZB that firing Thompson was not enough.

She said the organization needed to take action to ensure "businesses understand discrimination is not in their interests and needs to be addressed."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43655299/ns/business-personal_finance

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BrookieCookie1
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:32 PM

I'm not going to start about my thought on Women's rights, and trust me, everybody's better off for it.

OHgirlinCA
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:57 PM
Glad to see this idiot was fired!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
parentalrights1
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:59 PM

Men like him just don't value women and try to come up with reasons to justify it.

And brookiecookie. Please elaborate on what you think of women's rights since you did come in here to make a post about how you're not going to post.

Do you feel women shouldn't have rights or something?

GLWerth
by Gina on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:33 PM

Yeah, because one day a month a woman might have to make one extra trip to the bathroom, she's unfit for promotion.

What a douche.

Oh, and men take family time too....at least good dads do.

Traci_Momof2
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 3:34 PM

I think what he is saying can be true for some women, but certainly not for all.  Part of the fault in what he is saying is in painting all women with that one broad brush.  I've certainly known some women to have pretty severe symptoms during that time of the month, so much so that they need to stay home sometimes.  But especially now-a-days there are just as many women who don't even have a monthly cycle.  Different types of BC make the cycle very light (as is the case for me) or non-existant.  With all that said, the other fault in his statements is in discriminating against women for having issues during their cycles.  There are plenty of other people who are more prone to illness and therefore miss work more than 'average' and we don't discriminate against them.

As for child sickness, fathers miss work for sick kids too.  It's not just the mom's who miss work.  My husband stays home with our sick kids more often than I do because his work allows him more flexibility than mine does, so it just makes sense.  Are we going to start discriminating against all parents in the workplace?  Pay parents less than childless people just because we have kids?  I certainly hope not.

Friday
by HRH of MJ on Jul. 9, 2011 at 12:30 PM

Quoting BrookieCookie1:

I'm not going to start about my thought on Women's rights, and trust me, everybody's better off for it.

Then why bother commenting at all? Kinda rude to post and run if you ask me.

Friday
by HRH of MJ on Jul. 9, 2011 at 12:32 PM

Quoting Traci_Momof2:

I think what he is saying can be true for some women, but certainly not for all.  Part of the fault in what he is saying is in painting all women with that one broad brush.  I've certainly known some women to have pretty severe symptoms during that time of the month, so much so that they need to stay home sometimes.  But especially now-a-days there are just as many women who don't even have a monthly cycle.  Different types of BC make the cycle very light (as is the case for me) or non-existant.  With all that said, the other fault in his statements is in discriminating against women for having issues during their cycles.  There are plenty of other people who are more prone to illness and therefore miss work more than 'average' and we don't discriminate against them.

As for child sickness, fathers miss work for sick kids too.  It's not just the mom's who miss work.  My husband stays home with our sick kids more often than I do because his work allows him more flexibility than mine does, so it just makes sense.  Are we going to start discriminating against all parents in the workplace?  Pay parents less than childless people just because we have kids?  I certainly hope not.

bow down

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Jul. 9, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Oh, the idiocy.  This ingrained sexism turns up any time men feel threatened by women in positions of power.  Sure, the woman may be the one taking off work, she's likely to make less money, so lets punish her for it by making sure she makes less money.  Where are the men with kids in this?  Hopefully they have a wife that can be with their sick kids, otherwise they could take a pay cut for being less productive!  Asinine.

Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Jul. 9, 2011 at 12:42 PM
Dual incomes, becoming the norm in many places, many men in upper management don't see that women' income isn't just extra income for the household, but a vital source of a household income. While, sick leave is more common for women to use than men the difference is narrowing as the importance of dual income is raising.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Friday
by HRH of MJ on Jul. 9, 2011 at 9:19 PM

Quoting stacymomof2:

Oh, the idiocy.  This ingrained sexism turns up any time men feel threatened by women in positions of power.  Sure, the woman may be the one taking off work, she's likely to make less money, so lets punish her for it by making sure she makes less money.  Where are the men with kids in this?  Hopefully they have a wife that can be with their sick kids, otherwise they could take a pay cut for being less productive!  Asinine.

I'm surprised and a little concerned that more women here aren't speaking up against such ridiculous ideas.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)