Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

UN official: US execution of Leal broke int'l law

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:50 PM
  • 11 Replies

GENEVA (AP) — The U.N.'s top human rights official says the U.S. breached international law when it executed a Mexican citizen.

U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay said Friday the Texas execution of HumbertoLeal "raises particular legal concerns," including whether he had access to consular services and a fair trial.

Pillay also cited a 2004 International Court of Justice ruling saying the U.S. must review and reconsider the cases of 51 Mexican nationals sentenced to death, including Leal's — But, she said, that never happened.

Leal was executed Thursday despite a White House-backed appeal that claimed the case could affect foreigners arrested in the U.S. and Americans in legal trouble abroad.

Leal was sentenced to death for the 1994 rape and murder of a U.S. teenager.

http://news.yahoo.com/un-official-us-execution-leal-broke-intl-law-160400028.html

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stormcris
by Christy on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:53 PM

Good grief the man was here for years and years and years and they had 17 years to get him sentenced and they threw all kinds of obstacles at this. Why should we protect a rapist and murderer and other countries be able to just sentence people?

Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:56 PM

Exactly!

Quoting stormcris:

Good grief the man was here for years and years and years and they had 17 years to get him sentenced and they threw all kinds of obstacles at this. Why should we protect a rapist and murderer and other countries be able to just sentence people?

KolaT
by Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:56 PM

Eff that, they need to tell the damn UN that if they are so bent outta shape over some illegal immigrant they can come pick up the remaining 2.5 million illegals. We don't want them, either!!

RowdyRoxyRainbw
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:57 PM

F that UN and the opinion on anything. :)

lovinangels
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:58 PM

How many years was he in this country? Maybe we should stop giving them all the money we give them, which is like 22 percent of their budget.

rfurlongg
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:58 PM
This is a case where a governor did as he pleased against the stance of the federal govt. Should a states right supersede that of the federal govt?? Suppose that is a thread in itself.

As far the UN and the US breach of international law, it is not the 1st time, and I suspect it won't be the last. Fair or not, the UN has little (if any) power.
RowdyRoxyRainbw
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:58 PM

Quoting lovinangels:

How many years was he in this country? Maybe we should stop giving them all the money we give them, which is like 22 percent of their budget.

Yep.. Stop paying for em..I can get on board with that!

jessilin0113
by Ruby Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:59 PM
International law is only as strong as the countries supporting it. I hope no Americans need the services this guy was denied.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:03 PM

I think if you are in another country committing an obvious crime you should expect the consequences set by that government.

Quoting jessilin0113:

International law is only as strong as the countries supporting it. I hope no Americans need the services this guy was denied.

Andreamarie76
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:14 PM

Quoting Peanutx3:

I think if you are in another country committing an obvious crime you should expect the consequences set by that government.

Quoting jessilin0113:

agreed , HE KILLED and RAPED A TEENAGER, he should have be shot as soon as the trial was over !!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)