Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wikipedia thoughts

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:54 PM
  • 13 Replies

There was a time that wikipedia was not considered a reliable reference. I'm starting to see it more here on CM. What are your thoughts about using wikipedia as a source to back up your claim? Do you know if any Universities and/or High School allow it for literature research papers?

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BrookieCookie1
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:10 PM

I don't know about Universities and such, but I do know that all of the original reference material is listed with a link. I usually treat Wikipedia like I do any other research resource-as a starting point to cross-refrence something. I often hear people say that they do not trust it, but to date, the only thing I've found there to be an inaccuracy on was the UBB Mine disaster, and that was only because I was lucky enough to snag a copy of the private report to the governor. Other than that, things I've read about on there I was able to verify as accurate, after researching through other avenues.

DVDoubleD
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:13 PM

high schools IDK but Im in Community college and they dont allow it...its a joke!

jessilin0113
by Ruby Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:15 PM

I think it's pretty legit, from my understanding they have a LOT of fact-checkers, and inaccurate information is weeded out pretty quickly.  All claims are linked and they will tell you if it needs more sources or if it's biased.  I think it's a good resourse, if nothing else as a jumping off point.  I'd never use it as my primary source for a report in school, but I'd have no problems heading there to find the original source.

foxymama21
by Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:19 PM
My college suggests it for a starting point to find other links.....they don't find it reliable enough for a source
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1bluediamond
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:05 PM

Personally I find it great as a starting point as pp have mentioned. It's very useful in my opinion. 

1bluediamond
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:06 PM

Quoting BrookieCookie1:

I don't know about Universities and such, but I do know that all of the original reference material is listed with a link. I usually treat Wikipedia like I do any other research resource-as a starting point to cross-refrence something. I often hear people say that they do not trust it, but to date, the only thing I've found there to be an inaccuracy on was the UBB Mine disaster, and that was only because I was lucky enough to snag a copy of the private report to the governor. Other than that, things I've read about on there I was able to verify as accurate, after researching through other avenues.

Not a bad track record.

1bluediamond
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:07 PM

Quoting DVDoubleD:

high schools IDK but Im in Community college and they dont allow it...its a joke!

Is it considered a joke because anyone can post an entery? Does that make it less reliable to you?

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:08 PM

Quoting foxymama21:

My college suggests it for a starting point to find other links.....they don't find it reliable enough for a source

This.  I would start at Wiki and delve deeper. I would never use Wiki as a reputable source. 

shawnaquijada
by Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:12 PM
Neither the community college nor the university I went to would accept it. Except maybe one professor, if I remember right. I personally think that if it's a well-known topic, it should be allowed to be used. I use it all the time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DVDoubleD
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:13 PM

Quoting 1bluediamond:

Quoting DVDoubleD:

Is it considered a joke because anyone can post an entery? Does that make it less reliable to you?

absolutely! Only peer reviewed articles from non bias professional sources are truly good sources.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)