Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Costco now selling halal

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:59 AM
  • 15 Replies

Costco is now selling HALAL organic chicken!

Not is it only halal, but according to Coleman’s site, their chicken is certified organic, no antibiotics, no hormones, no preservatives, and always vegetarian fed! I’m sure it’ll appeal to a wide variety of people (not just Muslims).

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fatcat0908
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:01 AM
Is this their first organic product or something? Is it supposed to matter that it's Muslim?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FrogSalad
by Sooze on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:07 AM

Quoting fatcat0908:

Is this their first organic product or something? Is it supposed to matter that it's Muslim?

I'm sure it will be of interest to Muslims and other people on a restricted diet or those who simply want to buy chicken that meet certain standards (like no antibiotics, for example).

My question is:  does the "vegetarian only" diet consist mainly of corn?

lefleurmama
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:10 AM

That's cool. Halal can be eaten by Jews too, right? I would buy it too, even though I am not a Muslim, simply because it is organic. 

muslimah
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:18 AM

Quoting fatcat0908:

It matters to Muslims because it is not just organic but it is halal which means permitted. A Muslim must eat halal meat that is raised and slaughtered according to what is prescribed in Islam.

Click to join

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:29 AM

Thats great. Too bad I dont have one nearby.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:48 AM

Cool!  We luckily live near a lot of Halal butchers, but our Restaurant Depot (we have a membership for our business) also has a good selection of Halal meat, a good price but you have to get a lot!  We sell Halal meat at our deli as well, so I usually just take some from there.  I don't go to Costco, though.

eema.gray
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:54 AM

Awesome!  They've been carrying quite a few kosher products for a long time.  Since it's almost impossible to find glatt kosher meat outside of select markets, I tend to consider halal meats a reasonable substitute.  I've see the organic chicken there but didn't realize it's also halal.

gammie
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:11 AM

Great!

rnjMOM
by Rachel on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:03 PM

SWEET! I would buy it in a heartbeat if there were a Costco nearby! I'll def. check it out though the next time I see one! Thanks for the info Muslimah!!

Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:26 PM

I will be checking that out on my next trip to Costco.  Thank you Muslimah!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)