Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Obama says not creating new jobs department

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:05 AM
  • 9 Replies

Aug 16 (Reuters) - President Barack Obama said on Tuesday a plan to boost economic recovery that he will unveil in September will not include creating a new jobs department.

"We're going to take one more run at Congress, we're going to say to them here is a comprehensive approach that gets our debt and deficits under control and also accelerates job growth right now," Obama said in an interview on CNN's "The Situation Room."

Asked about reports that he might consider creating a new jobs department, Obama replied: "That is not true." (Reporting by Tabassum Zakaria; Editing by Christopher Wilson)

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/16/obama-jobs-idUSWNA679720110816

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
stormcris
by Christy on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:14 AM

Well honestly it is about time for them to admit that would be a serious waste until their special interests change.

candlegal
by Judy on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:15 AM

No kidding, if the stimulus bill provided so few jobs at, what was it something like $170,00 per job, I would hate to have them provide more jobs at such a cost to taxpayers.

romalove
by Roma on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:22 AM

Speaking of providing jobs at a cost to taxpayers....

Here in the NY/NJ area, we have to pay to cross the Hudson River from NJ into NY (or vice versa).  Currently the charges at the bridges and tunnels are $8 to cross.  Well, they are now trying to raise the toll to $15 to cross, and people are freaking out about this outrageous bump.  So they are holding hearings, and the unions have been busing members to the meetings to be FOR the proposed toll changes.  They sit in orange t-shirts and talk about how many jobs will be created by this added toll money.  The money will be used in great part to help fund the rebuilding of the WTC site, but also for other infrastructure issues with the bridges and tunnels, so the unions want the tolls increased because it will 'create hundreds of thousands of jobs' (I'm quoting from the labor guy on TV).

All on the backs of every taxpayer and commuter who will see their expenses DOUBLED.

So we can create jobs so these guys can have a paycheck if the rest of us are willing to chip in hundreds of dollars a month to pay for it.  Oooookayyyyy......

stormcris
by Christy on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:25 AM

See I thought the goal of a job was to work for money to have not to work for the government to look better. *sigh* My bad.

Quoting romalove:

Here in the NY/NJ area, we have to pay to cross the Hudson River from NJ into NY (or vice versa).  Currently the charges at the bridges and tunnels are $8 to cross.  Well, they are now trying to raise the toll to $15 to cross, and people are freaking out about this outrageous bump.  So they are holding hearings, and the unions have been busing members to the meetings to be FOR the proposed toll changes.  They sit in orange t-shirts and talk about how many jobs will be created by this added toll money.  The money will be used in great part to help fund the rebuilding of the WTC site, but also for other infrastructure issues with the bridges and tunnels, so the unions want the tolls increased because it will 'create hundreds of thousands of jobs' (I'm quoting from the labor guy on TV).

All on the backs of every taxpayer and commuter who will see their expenses DOUBLED.

So we can create jobs so these guys can have a paycheck if the rest of us are willing to chip in hundreds of dollars a month to pay for it.  Oooookayyyyy......

Everyone is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree it will think it is stupid.
ClaribelC
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:27 AM
There is no easy fix to the mess we are in. In the end is the working class who ends up footing the bill of all the "initiatives" this gov has created. Cannot wait for a change!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romalove
by Roma on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:28 AM

Quoting stormcris:

See I thought the goal of a job was to work for money to have not to work for the government to look better. *sigh* My bad.

Quoting romalove:

What's really pissing me off is, there are a lot of people who might live in SI and work in NJ, for example, or vice versa, who don't make a lot of money and already the $40 a week in bridge toll is a big expense.  Those people will be crushed under a doubling of their tolls, to the point where working may just not be worth it (imagine making $25K a year and having that sort of travel expense, not including gas for your car), so some union guy who's going to be working at a guaranteed inflated rate can have his job to feed his family.

I wanted to put my fist through the screen last night.

candlegal
by Judy on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:31 AM

wow, that sounds like a really bad plan.  To double it now when people are already struggling.  How come it doesn't surprise me that the union is going to make out in this.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting stormcris:

Quoting romalove:

What's really pissing me off is, there are a lot of people who might live in SI and work in NJ, for example, or vice versa, who don't make a lot of money and already the $40 a week in bridge toll is a big expense.  Those people will be crushed under a doubling of their tolls, to the point where working may just not be worth it (imagine making $25K a year and having that sort of travel expense, not including gas for your car), so some union guy who's going to be working at a guaranteed inflated rate can have his job to feed his family.

stormcris
by Christy on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:32 AM

I would be mad as hell about this. I have been across that area and all over those tolls up there; they were bad enough just traveling through, but if I had to do a commute everyday up there many lower paying jobs just would not cut it.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting stormcris:

Quoting romalove:

Everyone is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree it will think it is stupid.
romalove
by Roma on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:37 AM

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2011/08/16/2011-08-16_no_ezpass_for_port_authority_at_public_hearing_as_public_gets_outraged_over_prop.html

A link to an article that says what I just told you, so no one thinks I'm union bashing without cause here.  It's very clear what's going on.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)