Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Rick Santorum: Rick Perry’s Attack On Ben Bernanke ‘Completely Out Of Bounds’

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:00 AM
  • 14 Replies

Rick Santorum: Rick Perry’s Attack On Ben Bernanke ‘Completely Out Of Bounds’

Yesterday, ThinkProgress caught Gov. Rick Perry (R-TX) on video threatening Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke during a trip to Iowa. Perry, the latest Republican to announce a campaign for the White House, called any effort by the Fed to provide monetary stimulus “treasonous in my opinion” and added that he would treat Bernanke “pretty ugly down in Texas.” On CNN this afternoon, former Sen. Rick Santorum (R-PA), another candidate in the race, slammed Perry’s comment and said any suggestion of treason is pure politics:

KING: What do you mean by he stepped on it?

SANTORUM: Well his comments about Ben Bernanke, they were completely out of bounds. I don’t agree with Ben Bernanke’s policies… but to me the rhetoric that Rick Perry used was sort of the rhetoric I would expect from a John Conyers, talking about President Bush and saying he should be impeached. We don’t do that. We don’t impeach people, we don’t charge people with treason because we disagree with them on public policy. You might say that they’re wrong, you might say lots of things about how misguided they are, but you don’t up the ante to that type of rhetoric. It’s out of place, and hopefully Gov. Perry will step back and recognize that we’re not in Texas anymore.

As Politico’s Alexander Burns notes, “Santorum’s point is that Perry sounds radical and irresponsible. Bringing impeachment into the picture may not be the best rhetorical choice, given that Santorum voted to convict Bill Clinton in impeachment proceedings back in the day.

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stormcris
by Christy on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:03 AM

Anyone else confused as to positions yet. They are going in circles and before this ends all politicians will be at each others throats just because they think it will appease the public. They will be still having their golf games while publicly speaking as if enemies.

candlegal
by Judy on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:11 AM

Santorum needs to get a life.  How come no ones seems to remember Obama saying, on the campaign trail, if they bring a knife, we need to bring guns, now that is a threat.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2008/06/14/obama-if-they-bring-a-knife-to-the-fight-we-bring-a-gun/

nanaofsix531
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:15 AM

LOL The President didn't seem to really care about the statement and just kind of brushed it off on CNN.The repugs are the one's taking him to the wood shed.They think he is making them look bad in every statement I have read from them.

candlegal
by Judy on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:16 AM

hehe, that is because he remembers what he said and hopes others don't.
The repubs are worried about him being in the race and are trying to discredit him

Quoting nanaofsix531:

LOL The President didn't seem to really care about the statement and just kind of brushed it off on CNN.The repugs are the one's taking him to the wood shed.They think he is making them look bad in every statement I have read from them.

.Bubbles.
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:16 AM

You read that whole article that is about two REPUBLICANS disagreeing and all you can do is bring Obama in to it.  Do you ever have any other response.  We get it you don't like Obama. You don't think he should have ever been elected and anyone who voted for him is an idiot. Got it.  WE ALL KNOW.  So every once in a while could you actually address the article.

If they are already beginning to attack each other this primary race is going to get ugly long before it is over.

Quoting candlegal:

Santorum needs to get a life.  How come no ones seems to remember Obama saying, on the campaign trail, if they bring a knife, we need to bring guns, now that is a threat.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2008/06/14/obama-if-they-bring-a-knife-to-the-fight-we-bring-a-gun/

candlegal
by Judy on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:20 AM

did you read my response just above yours?

Quoting .Bubbles.:

You read that whole article that is about two REPUBLICANS disagreeing and all you can do is bring Obama in to it.  Do you ever have any other response.  We get it you don't like Obama. You don't think he should have ever been elected and anyone who voted for him is an idiot. Got it.  WE ALL KNOW.  So every once in a while could you actually address the article.

If they are already beginning to attack each other this primary race is going to get ugly long before it is over.

Quoting candlegal:

.Bubbles.
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:41 AM

Actually I was typing when you posted your second response.  My point is is that you come in to a thread that has NOTHING to do with Obama and feel a need to bring him up at any chance whether it is really relevant or not.  I think your first response speaks volumes.  You are so determined that Obama is the enemy you can't even look at an article like this and just say Santorum was out of line and leave Obama out of it.

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting .Bubbles.:

Quoting candlegal:

candlegal
by Judy on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:46 AM

the point I am making is how is that even a threat?   What Obama said was much worse and people seem to be ignoring it. 

Santorum ought to spend his time on the campaign trail telling us what he can do, if the republicans start going after each other(and I am sorry that they already are) they are just going to help Obama win in 2012.  They need to start talking about his failed policies, how bad his economy is and how high the unemployment numbers are.

Quoting .Bubbles.:

Actually I was typing when you posted your second response.  My point is is that you come in to a thread that has NOTHING to do with Obama and feel a need to bring him up at any chance whether it is really relevant or not.  I think your first response speaks volumes.  You are so determined that Obama is the enemy you can't even look at an article like this and just say Santorum was out of line and leave Obama out of it.

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting .Bubbles.:

Quoting candlegal:

BleedinHeartMom
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:52 AM

And palin saying dont retreat, reload? is that not a threat? people were bringing guns to rallies..how about putting targets on democrats in their districts? 

Get back on topic CG, your sounding like a broken record....damn ditto heads  hehe

Now to the OP, yes it was uncalled for and alot of people are telling Perry to tone down the rhetoric

"If we ever learn to convert hypocrisy into energy, the world will finally have a use for Conservatives."

candlegal
by Judy on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:05 AM

and he has said he would not take it back and I agree with him.

Quoting BleedinHeartMom:

And palin saying dont retreat, reload? is that not a threat? people were bringing guns to rallies..how about putting targets on democrats in their districts? 

oh you mean the same targets the DNC used before she did.

Get back on topic CG, your sounding like a broken record....damn ditto heads  hehe

right and you never sound like one, ha

Now to the OP, yes it was uncalled for and alot of people are telling Perry to tone down the rhetoric

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)