Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do You Buy Cheap Honey?

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:47 PM
  • 48 Replies

http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2011/08/honey-laundering/

Asian Honey, Banned in Europe, Is Flooding U.S. Grocery Shelves

FDA has the laws needed to keep adulterated honey off store shelves but does little, honey industry says.

A third or more of all the honey consumed in the U.S. is likely to have been smuggled in from China and may be tainted with illegal antibiotics and heavy metals.  A Food Safety News investigation has documented that millions of pounds of honey banned as unsafe in dozens of countries are being imported and sold here in record quantities. 

And the flow of Chinese honey continues despite assurances from the Food and Drug Administration and other federal officials that the hundreds of millions of pounds reaching store shelves were authentic and safe following the widespread arrests and convictions of major smugglers over the last two years.

Thumbnail image for honeycomb406.jpgExperts interviewed by Food Safety News say some of the largest and most long-established U.S. honey packers are knowingly buying mislabeled, transshipped or possibly altered honey so they can sell it cheaper than those companies who demand safety, quality and rigorously inspected honey. 

Do you eat honey? Do you buy local, or specialty honey, or just 'whatever's cheapest'?
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Until I read this, I bought cheap honey.

Now I'm going to be much more careful... wow.

Aamy
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:51 PM
Nope I buy local honey.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
davidnjonsmommy
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:51 PM
I only buy local, raw honey. Made right here in OKC.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Traci_Momof2
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:07 PM

We don't eat a whole lot of honey but when I do buy it I get it from a local grower at our local Farmers' Market.  I've heard (can't substantiate) that the add'l benefit of buying from someone local is that the honey will have trace amounts of the pollen and other allergens that are local and those small quantities eaten regularly in the honey can help your body build up immunity and make seasonal allergies less severe for those who suffer from them, or help others to not develop seasonal allergies in the first place.

rnjMOM
by Rachel on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:08 PM

No Ma'am! We buy local honey. I am a particular fan of honey-butter... honey mixed with peanut butter!

DeathGoddess
by Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:11 PM

scary...i have a full bottle of generic honey in my pantry that my mom gave me!

lovinangels
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:13 PM

NO, we get local honey. It's a natural medicine for allergies, and buying it local insures that you GET the right product for what's floating around in your area. Plus, honey on the shelf is allowed to have a certain percentage of HFCS in it without putting it on the label.

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:14 PM

I've heard that, too.

It's also an awesome hangover cure, general stomach remedy and is good for your lungs (according to someone I know who practices Traditional Chinese Medicine, and who's going to argue with  a 3000 year old Chinese guy?)

Quoting Traci_Momof2:

We don't eat a whole lot of honey but when I do buy it I get it from a local grower at our local Farmers' Market.  I've heard (can't substantiate) that the add'l benefit of buying from someone local is that the honey will have trace amounts of the pollen and other allergens that are local and those small quantities eaten regularly in the honey can help your body build up immunity and make seasonal allergies less severe for those who suffer from them, or help others to not develop seasonal allergies in the first place.

Kaelansmom
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:14 PM

I would get local honey.. but, I am not sure where I would get it here.. I normally just buy Sue Bee.. always a specific brand.

lovinangels
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:15 PM

there's so much more to the purchase of honey than just this stuff. If you find a local grower you will be amazed at the difference in taste, and real honey is really nutritious stuff. I know you're in Canada, but I don't know where. I know when I lived by lake Seneca, there was a place called wixsons that had local honey, and that wasn't too far from Canada. They may ship if it's too far of a drive, but local is really the best way to go.

Quoting LindaClement:

Until I read this, I bought cheap honey.

Now I'm going to be much more careful... wow.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)