Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

S/O Discipline

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:34 PM
  • 3 Replies

At what age do you start disciplining your children and HOW do you discipline your children?  How does it change as they grow up?

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Earthy_Mom
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:43 PM

I started by educating DS from the moment he began crawling (hot, do not touch, ouch, etc...). I still do this and he is 5 1/2. About the time he turned 2, I began warning him and removing him from whatever he was doing that was not safe while explaining why he should not do it. At about 3-3 1/2, we started time outs (30 seconds, a minute). Sometimes I give him a quick slap on the hand or leg for kicking or something that needs an immediate correction (something dangerous) and I explain why he should not be doing that. I still do the 3 warnings, time outs, distraction with him. And I think I will continue doing this until he is 80... if he acts like a child as an adult, I will treat him as such.

Although, at the way he is growing and taking into account his fathers height, by the time he is 15 I will have to either stand on something to yell at him or knock him down to my size so I can look him in the eyes while I scold him lol.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:02 PM

As soon as they're born.  

LntLckrsCmQut
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:15 PM

When I know they are able to understand, I start disciplining. It starts out with time outs and progresses to things being taken away, to harsher consequences, such as having to do hard, physical labor, to getting their room swept of everything but a bed and clothes.

We also utilize chore/behavior charts, and that's how they earn things such as T.V., computer, and Wii time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)