Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ugh. Just got into a HUGE fight with DH.

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:08 PM
  • 10 Replies

He posted a video on his facebook of a woman performing an optical illusion and typed "burn the witch" under it.

So, I commented on it. Hey, that's a religion.

He asked if I even watched the video, which I didn't so I watched it and still don't see the "humor" in it, or the comment, 

which basically ended in me telling him that I was going to teach the girls that different people believed different things and him saying that people that can't see humor are stupid.

Nice side dig, right. People being burned at the stake=not funny (IMO)

So now we are sitting here not talking and I'm mad as hell. He thinks he should be able to make whatever stupid comments he wants (and he is, of course) but I should keep my mouth shut about them. 

WTH?

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momsthename0609
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:10 PM
You have as much right to make your comments as he does.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tatiana7
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:14 PM
Sounds like a narrow minded jerk to me.

People on fire is never amusing. But that's just my 2 cents.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
peacocky
by New Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:16 PM

My husband jokes like that too, and I hate it.  It disgusts me and we currently fighting about something similar.  Ugh. 

.Bubbles.
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:22 PM

Sounds like your DH made an ignorant statement and now instead of owning up to that he shifting blame on you.  The comment isn't funny.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:23 PM

So you want to have your opinions, but you don't want him to have different ones? 

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:51 PM

Don't play with fire if you don't want to get burned...

Or all y'all can keep playing this way: he makes a stupid comment that he either immediately feels stupid about or hopes might pass unnoticed, or didn't think about at all, and you comment on the stupidity, making you sound critical and lacking a sense of humour, so he comments on your critical nature or lack of humour, and you feel (justifiably) criticized, which is his fault because he said it, so he feels blamed, and he seeks to shift the blame for how he feels onto you because if you weren't critical in the first place, he wouldn't feel criticized, nor criticized you in return and you blame him because if he hadn't made a stupid comment in the first place there'd have been nothing to criticize. There, now, isn't that fun?

Can you imagine getting off this treadmill by choice?

If you don't want to participate in an argument, keep your comments to yourself.

If you're feeling brave, you could suggest he do the same... but that would be a comment, as noted above.

P.S. Momsthename0609 is right: you have identical rights to comment. The question isn't about rights, it's 'do you want to be happy or do you want to be right?'

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:53 PM

That's the beauty of marriage

He's free to say the dumb shit he thinks is funny

and you are free to raise holy HELL about itstick out tongue mini

The biggest fight I ever had with my hubby was over Kirk Franklin

lol

the first year we were married....

married people can argue about SOME STUFF!!

naominpipermom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:54 PM
Exactly

Quoting .Bubbles.:

Sounds like your DH made an ignorant statement and now instead of owning up to that he shifting blame on you.  The comment isn't funny.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Layla19
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:55 PM

I used to be a witch.  I still found that stuff funny.  And I agree with Linda above, it doesn't seem like something worth fighting over.

wickedfiress
by Kellie on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:12 PM

I pick my battles, and this wouldn't be one worth fighting for me.  You can still teach your children that without having to stifle your husband's (dark) sense of humor in adult settings. - FB isn't somewhere your kids are going to see it, so no need to get upset about it. Maybe something like "just don't say that sort of thing in front of the kids until they can understand it's a joke."  would be taken better?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)