Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Heartbreaking: 7th Grade Girl Raped Twice, Blamed and Punished By School Officials Both Times

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:21 PM
  • 42 Replies

The first time she was raped, school officials told her she was lying. They even demanded she write and hand-deliver an apology letter to her attacker.  Twisting the knife a little deeper,  the school expelled her for the rest of the year. The devastating sequence of events that followed suggests that school officials may actually have wanted the girl to have been attacked, or punished for speaking-out, once more  She was raped by the same boy in the library the following year. 

According to the Springfield News-Leader, the 7th grade special education student at Republic Middle School in Springfield, MO reported her rape in the spring of 2009. School officials refused to believe her, and after suffering through "multiple intimidating interrogations," she recanted the claim.  What's more, a school psychologist's report said the girl "would forego her own needs and wishes to satisfy the request of others around so that she can be accepted." In other words, the already victimized twelve-year-old might have taken back her statement after school officials demonized her for being raped.

When she returned to school the following year, the school refused her mother's request for extra monitoring and did not separate her from her rapist who, thanks to the apology letter, knew she had told. If the school wanted the girl to be victimized a third time, they got their wish. In February 2010, the lawsuit says her attacker "was able to hunt [her] down, drag her to the back of the school library, and again forcibly rape her." This time, she and her mother reported the rape to the police, and a rape kit tested positive for her attacker's semen. He plead guilty to charges in juvenile court. 

The school's next move made it clear that it was not lack of evidence fueling officials' accusation that she was lying, but a deep-seeded hatred for women: Incredibly, the twelve-year-old rape victim was suspended for for "Disrespectful Conduct" and "Public Display of Affection" - two absolutely disgusting ways to categorize rape. The school had victimized the girl a fourth time, slut-shaming a rape victim for an attack that happened on school property, and one her mother sought to prevent by requesting their separation.

Her lawsuit requests damages for medical expenses, emotional distress, and attorneys' fees, in addition to "punitive damages to deter School Officials and others from similar conduct in the future."

But the school district denied every one of the girl's allegations, as well as responsibility for the attack,  the same way they denied her rape. 

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anetrnlov
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:28 PM

I have no words....this is atrocious.

minimom11107
by Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:30 PM

What. The. Fuck.

Mamacruz13
by Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:38 PM

This story absolutely disgusts me... But I have been wondering why the mother did not go to police the first time the daughter was raped? Or move her to another school away from the monster?

im23vaughn
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:41 PM

Quoting minimom11107:

What. The. Fuck.

This. I hope she not only sues the school district, but she sues the principal and every teacher who was involved in this personally and take them for every red cent they have. I hope those pricks are forced to live in cardboard boxes. Then I hope the police charge all of them with a crime. It is law that teachers must report allegations of rape to the police. They didn't. They should get charged with obstruction of justice, intimidation of a minor, and whatever charges they can come up with.

I hope these teachers are never able to get a job anywhere every again.

SuperChicken
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:50 PM

Every school official involved in this case should be charge with accessory to rape.  They practically handed this poor child over to her rapist for further assault.   They should face prison sentences.   Suing them just isn't enough.

Layla19
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:51 PM

I don't know how such administrative evil is even possible.

We have some teachers in here; would your administration be capable of something like this?

Xia
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:53 PM

Quoting minimom11107:

What. The. Fuck.

This, and where the fuck were the fucking teacher and librarian? How could this have happened and why is this CHILD being targeted?

Xia
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:55 PM

While I don't know the official  answer to that, I contract into schools and all kinds of shit goes on (not necessarily to this degree) and people sweep it under the rug or act like the student or the parents are the problem. I would not continue to work in that environment.

Quoting Layla19:

We have some teachers in here; would your administration be capable of something like this?

Layla19
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:58 PM

Quoting Xia:

While I don't know the official  answer to that, I contract into schools and all kinds of shit goes on (not necessarily to this degree) and people sweep it under the rug or act like the student or the parents are the problem. I would not continue to work in that environment.

Quoting Layla19:

That makes me feel ill, that people would actually do this.  That this isn't a one-time occurence; it's just the occurence we've heard about.

Layla19
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Quoting Mamacruz13:

This story absolutely disgusts me... But I have been wondering why the mother did not go to police the first time the daughter was raped? Or move her to another school away from the monster?

I'm thinking, she went to the school right when it happened, and was intimidated into retracting it, so she might not have told her mother the first time, when it happened?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)