Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Social Security wrongly declares 14,000 people dead each year

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:54 PM
  • 4 Replies

EW YORK (CNNMoney) -- More Americans are being erroneously killed off by the Social Security Administration every day.

Of the approximately 2.8 million death reports the Social Security Administration receives per year, about 14,000 -- or one in every 200 deaths -- are incorrectly entered into its Death Master File, which contains the Social Security numbers, names, birth dates, death dates, zip codes and last-known residences of more than 87 million deceased Americans. That averages out to 38 life-altering mistakes a day.

While these errors occur online, in the depths of the administration's database, they have a very real impact on the people who have effectively been declared dead.

"Erroneous death entries can lead to benefit termination, cause severe financial hardship and distress to affected individuals, and result in the publication of living individuals' [personal identifying information] in the [Death Master File]," the Inspector General said in its most recent evaluation of the database.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/08/17/pf/social_security_deaths_mistakes/index.htm

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Momniscient
by Obama licker on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:56 PM

I've been dead before. I went to open a business account at the bank and came back dead.

It wasn't life altering though--it was actually an error on the banks side.

lightflash
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:57 PM

Well pretty soon we won't have social security anymore as it is getting used up. So in the future there wil be nothing to worry about.

celestegood
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:57 PM

Wow, how in the heck do you go about getting declared "alive" again?  I know several older folks living on social security-how would they live if they were kicked off?  Just can't believe this.  Rediculous.  Wouldn't a death certificate have to be furnished before they would kick a person off?

Earthy_Mom
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:13 PM

I wonder if I wrote a note to them saying
"you have recently declared me dead, I would like to remain dead, please do not declare me alive again. PS please send a note that I may use when applying for jobs and leaving the country that I may show stating that I am who my DL says and I am allowed to work even though SS has be filed as dead (you know, kind of like doctors notes for sick people, only a SS note for a dead person)."
what they would do?
Not that I get SS, I'm only 25 lol, but still.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)