Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Vatican Offers Pilgrims Abortion Forgiveness for 6 Days

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:17 PM
  • 17 Replies

(NEWSER) – The Vatican is marking World Youth Day celebrations in Madrid by offering women who have had abortions an easy way to become Catholics again, reports the Guardian. Abortion is punishable by instant excommunication and "normally, only certain priests have the power to lift such an excommunication, but the local diocese has decided to give all the priests taking confession at the event this power," explains a spokesman for Pope Benedict XVI.

Some 200 confession booths have been set up in central Madrid for the 6-day event, which is expected to attract well over a million pilgrims as well as plenty of protesters. The Spanish government will be covering some of the costs of the $72 million event, which will include a visit from the pontiff tomorrow. Even some members of the clergy are questioning the wisdom of holding such a lavish celebration when Spain is in the midst of an austerity drive, and youth unemployment has reached 40%, the New York Times finds.

http://www.newser.com/story/126011/vatican-offers-pilgrims-abortion-forgiveness-for-6-days.html

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lunarprancer
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:18 PM

I am not even going to touch this one =0)

ashellbell
by shellbark on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:18 PM
Is it wrong that I laughed at this?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Making it us as they go

lajoy
by Holly on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:24 PM

$72 million dollars????!!!!!!!!!! Give me a $*&^%$#@*@?#@ break!

Arroree
by Ruby Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:24 PM

BAD, EVIL, UNFORGIVABLE SIN................ Unless we say its ok again, then you can come back.

Interesting how they change Gods laws anytime they feel like it. So i take it the churches member numbers are down enough that they've become desperate for members? Ridiculous.

Earthy_Mom
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:28 PM

|-------------------------------------------------------------- nope... my 10 ft pole isn't long enough for me to touch this one.

.Bubbles.
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:39 PM

rachel226
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:40 PM

I wasn't aware that you were "excommunicated" from the church for abortion. That's a little harsh. I thought all sin was forgiven when you repent and ask for forgiveness. At least, every church Ive ever been to preaches that. I thought that was kinda the point of Jesus dying on the cross. And to spend that much money to do something only God can do??.... From what I have read in the bible, only God can forgive your sins. And you don't need a priest to be the go-between. You can ask forgiveness through prayer.

RowdyRoxyRainbw
by Gold Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:06 PM

awesome

Quoting .Bubbles.:

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:10 PM

Quoting rachel226:

I wasn't aware that you were "excommunicated" from the church for abortion. That's a little harsh. I thought all sin was forgiven when you repent and ask for forgiveness. At least, every church Ive ever been to preaches that. I thought that was kinda the point of Jesus dying on the cross. And to spend that much money to do something only God can do??.... From what I have read in the bible, only God can forgive your sins. And you don't need a priest to be the go-between. You can ask forgiveness through prayer.

This explains a lot of the 'unforgiving nature' of some Catholics in here!

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)