Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Contradictions in the Bible... To non believers mostly I guess.

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:31 PM
  • 257 Replies

What are the stand outs to you?

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
romalove
by Roma on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:35 PM
2 moms liked this

My contradiction has nothing to do necessarily with the Bible but with the whole idea of God.  I don't understand why people pray to God if God can't/won't intercede and we have 'free will' and I don't understand why if things turn out the way we want them we give God credit but if things are horrible we don't blame God.  It's not God's fault if people die in a tsunami but if someone lives then God is merciful.

jonellg
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:35 PM

Well the first one that comes to mind is Adam and Eve, pretty much everything about them. 

Then Jonah, ya know what there are too many to list. lol

DangerDarling
by Fabulous on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:37 PM
1 mom liked this

There are quite a few. I suppose the biggest two (to me) are the back-to-back different creation stories in Genesis and the recounting of Judas's death. He can't have died both by hanging himself and also falling over in a field. There are many discrepancies, though. I think that is what is bound to happen when you have translators both disagreeing over the context and meanings of words and also making up content where it is missing from the original scrolls.  

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:48 PM
3 moms liked this

What gets me is when you mention the old laws in the Old Testament you get "Well the New Testament cancels them out and we're supposed to follow that instead"....but you sure still see those Ten Commandments thrown around.

GLWerth
by Gina on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:55 PM

YES!!!

Quoting Woodbabe:

What gets me is when you mention the old laws in the Old Testament you get "Well the New Testament cancels them out and we're supposed to follow that instead"....but you sure still see those Ten Commandments thrown around.

ashellbell
by shellbark on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:57 PM
1 mom liked this
How much time do you have?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LntLckrsCmQut
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 1:06 PM

This.  I also question where God came from!!

Quoting romalove:

My contradiction has nothing to do necessarily with the Bible but with the whole idea of God.  I don't understand why people pray to God if God can't/won't intercede and we have 'free will' and I don't understand why if things turn out the way we want them we give God credit but if things are horrible we don't blame God.  It's not God's fault if people die in a tsunami but if someone lives then God is merciful.

survivorinohio
by René on Aug. 19, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Quoting ashellbell:

How much time do you have?

Well. Ive been here 4 years...

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

Kaelansmom
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 1:30 PM
1 mom liked this

There are over 458 contradictions in the bible... all of them stand out.

FrogSalad
by Sooze on Aug. 19, 2011 at 1:32 PM

Pretty much everything the previous posters have mentioned.  A big one for me is how God changes from the OT to the NT, yet god is supposedly never-changing.

Also, the claim (not sure it's biblical or not, I've never bothered to look) that god can't be in the presence of sin. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)