Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Middle School Drug Testing

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:31 PM
  • 9 Replies

Do you think kids knowing that their parents had a drug testing kit on hand would deter them from experimenting with drugs? Or is this yet more wasteful spending by schools when we're supposedly going broke in our education system?

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2011/08/17/school-district-offering-drug-testing-kits-to-parents/

School District Offering Drug Testing Kits To Parents

HEMPFIELD (KDKA) — A local school district is offering take home drug tests to parents.

The test kids will be available to parents of middle school students in the Hempfield School District.

“We would rather be proactive,” Andy Leopold, superintendent, said. “We have 6,300 students in this district and if we can affect even one family or one child then we’re doing our job.”

The test will be offered to parents and will be voluntary. The results will never be given to the school district. The student cannot be punished in any way by the school system.

“It gives my kids a way out to say, ‘Hey. I could be tested for drugs at any time. No thank you. I can’t,’” Randy Stoner, a school board member, said.

Terry Ewing, a former teacher and a mother, says it’s about time.

“I think this is idea has some merit,” she said. “Parents can know for sure what’s going on with their children. The school district doesn’t want to know the results. This is just for the parents. If they want it, they can request it? Not a bad idea.”

The drug testing kits will be offered as part of a comprehensive plan in Hempfield that includes an in-your-face look at the justice system and the danger of drugs.

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Friday
by HRH of MJ on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:35 PM

Wasteful spending. I know enough about street drugs and how they affect you that I will know if my kid is using. So far he has no interest even growing up in a house with Cannabis users.

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

heidimoose134
by Momma Moose on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:42 PM

Completely wasteful. Just like PP said, I know enough about drugs and their effect to know if my child is using. I used to smoke pot myself for a short time a few years ago, and a friend of mine went through an EXTREMELY experimental stage (which, thank God was temporary) so I know all too well how a person can react. In any case, this shouldn't even be an issue. If your 12-14 year old is doing drugs, you're officially an epic fail at being a parent.

parrishsky
by Maxfield on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:57 PM

My ds is against drugs and alcohol so I personally have no worries with him. My dd has talked to me about her friends smoking pot and she's becoming more and more curious, but we have strict rules so I doubt she would do it. So for me it's wasteful spending. I think it adds more stress and kids will do it anyway and possibly find a way to counteract the drug in their system, like drinking green tea etc.

Godgaveme4
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:28 PM

Quoting Friday:

Wasteful spending. I know enough about street drugs and how they affect you that I will know if my kid is using. So far he has no interest even growing up in a house with Cannabis users.

I agree. 

If parents are that concerned then let them buy the kit on their own.  Spend the money on somethng more useful.

And are the parets givin one no matter what?

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:39 PM

It all comes down to punishment, if any. If the parent buys the kit, and keeps it in the open so the kid knows they can/will use it at any time....that's not the threat. Is it the type of parent that will actually do something about it if positive? 

Funny the guy's name is Stoner. ha 

survivorinohio
by René on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:41 PM

I agree with Friday.  There is enough info to parents that I think most should know what to look for.  If this was sponsored by the health dept as  a service by request thats  a better plan than coming out of the school budget.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Aug. 19, 2011 at 4:33 PM

Quoting EireLass:

It all comes down to punishment, if any. If the parent buys the kit, and keeps it in the open so the kid knows they can/will use it at any time....that's not the threat. Is it the type of parent that will actually do something about it if positive? 

From Hempfield....

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

BrookieCookie1
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Hempfield is a pretty nice area and the school district is pretty good, too. Trust me, they have more than enough money in that district to pay for something like this. I get what they are saying about this, if a kid doesn't want to succumb to peer pressure, it's a reasonable out. Other than that, it's probably fairly useless. A kid using drugs prior to or during middle school runs a risk of becoming an addict.  With any addiction, the addict has to come to their own choice about getting clean, usually by hitting bottom. So, on the other hand, I can also see where this could cause a bunch of anxiety and money wasted on rehabs that won't work if the kid is not willing to stop yet. Living under your parents roof, getting wasted with no responsibility or bills to pay, most kids that go to rehab relapse because of those reasons, so I can see where the tests may be a ad thing for parents, but for the kids, I'd say it's good. Urinalysis technology is very cheap these days, too!

survivorinohio
by René on Aug. 19, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Quoting Woodbabe:

Quoting EireLass:

From Hempfield....

Funny!

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)