Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Was Jesus a liberal?

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:14 PM
  • 36 Replies

He wandered around drinking other peoples wine and eating there bread, so in that sense he would be a liberal.

However,  Jesus ordered a servant slain, He ordered his prophets to arm themselves with swords, so he was willing to fight.  The bible has many examples of the rewards of wealth, Jesus, obviously had some wealth himself, thus, the need for a treasurer, Judas, who apparently felt he could skim from the top and not get caught. 

There was obviously a flat tax at the time as, a tithe was 10%, it was not progressive.

If there is among you a poor man of your brethren, within any of the gates in your land which the LORD your God is giving you, you shall not harden your heart nor shut your hand from your poor brother, but you shall open your hand wide to him and willingly lend him sufficient for his need, whatever he needs. – Deuteronomy 15:7-8

This does not say give your money to the government to distribute as they see fit, but rather to give as individuals.

When Jesus came upon the woman about to be slain for adultery, he told her to go forth and sin no more, he didn't say, go about your way, you can't help it you were born that way.

He promoted the laws of the old testament, which would certainly be in contrast to modern liberalism.

So how do these fit into the modern liberal view?

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lovinangels
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:16 PM

The idea of giving to the poor was not legislated by the government, it was something Christians are to do...

heidimoose134
by Momma Moose on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:18 PM

I honestly think he was a mixture of both. 

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:18 PM
This is pretty offensive
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Earthy_Mom
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:18 PM

It depends on what your definition of a Liberal is, and how much of what bible you believe and whether you count the missing gospels or not... lots of factors would play into forming an opinion one way or the other on this specific question (at least for me it would).

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:18 PM
Promoted the laws in the old testament

Like marrying your rapist...right...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovinangels
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:19 PM

but the four thousand "Jesus was a liberal posts" weren't? 

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

This is pretty offensive

cbk_mom3
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:22 PM

Fortuanately, back then, there weren't "liberals" or "conservatives", Jesus is just what He is...The Son of God, sent to earth to do for us what we are unable to do for ourselves, save our souls from eternal damnation and separation from God, and give us the gift of eternal life in heaven with Him. In fact, I imagine He is none too happy that this country is so divisive, but here we are, anyway. Good post, Carpy, very interesting.

Carpy
by Emerald Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:27 PM

Well, of course no:)

Quoting lovinangels:

but the four thousand "Jesus was a liberal posts" weren't? 

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

This is pretty offensive

Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:54 PM
That's isn't liberal nor conservative.

The problem with this post, is Jesus' work was missionary in nature not political.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Promoted the laws in the old testament

Like marrying your rapist...right...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Iconoclast
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:00 PM

Quoting Carpy:

He wandered around drinking other peoples wine and eating there bread, so in that sense he would be a liberal.

Actually Jesus kept  the party going by making the wine.

However,  Jesus ordered a servant slain, He ordered his prophets to arm themselves with swords, so he was willing to fight.  The bible has many examples of the rewards of wealth, Jesus, obviously had some wealth himself, thus, the need for a treasurer, Judas, who apparently felt he could skim from the top and not get caught. 

I guess if that is one interpretation but the bible was written so long ago those words could have a completely different meaning.  For Shakespeare to die was to have an orgasm depending on how the word was used (it's context).

There was obviously a flat tax at the time as, a tithe was 10%, it was not progressive.

If there is among you a poor man of your brethren, within any of the gates in your land which the LORD your God is giving you, you shall not harden your heart nor shut your hand from your poor brother, but you shall open your hand wide to him and willingly lend him sufficient for his need, whatever he needs. – Deuteronomy 15:7-8

This does not say give your money to the government to distribute as they see fit, but rather to give as individuals.

Yea, that would definitelywork.  People are usually very free with funds, j/k.  I think that the basic idea (this is my opinion) was to see others as you see yourself.  A person is very willing to accept and thinks other should give to their needs.  He wants them to feel the same when giving to others. (btw he doesn't say give to a church or a synagogue)

When Jesus came upon the woman about to be slain for adultery, he told her to go forth and sin no more, he didn't say, go about your way, you can't help it you were born that way.

Yea, but adultery took on many meanings also.  To be an adulterer was to have sex with someone other than your spouse.  If that person died and you have sex with someone else that person became an adulterer.  There is a verse that likens wanting a sign to also be adulterous.  He also didn't say "ewww" or "all those who haven't sin in this way or are holier than her, have at her"

He promoted the laws of the old testament, which would certainly be in contrast to modern liberalism.

What is modern liberalism?  (real question)

So how do these fit into the modern liberal view?

What is the modern liberal view?  (real question)  I see these post about dems this, and repubs that and wonder if I have stumbled into a bloods and crips political battle. 

He also said "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her".

And, “Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye.

DANGER ZONE! 

EVEN WHEN I'M BRAGGING I'M BEING SINCERE!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)