• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

O/T: Cat people I need HELP! (Update)

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:18 PM
  • 19 Replies

I have a 2 1/2 y.o. female cat who is spayed and *not* declawed.  I found a small kitten last night and broughter her home.  I kept her away from the other cat until I brought her to the vet.  She is negative for Feline leukemia and AIDS and got her first shots.  He said she is femal, approxiamtely 12 weeks old and healthy.  She is very friendly.

Here is my problem. My older cat is not overly friendly and kind of skittish.  She has never been a lap cat.  I showed her the kitten today and she made this weird sound and the kitten cried and ran up my leg.

They both have claws so I do not want either one to get hurt.  What is the best way to get them sued to each other.  Right now I have the kitten in a room with a small litter nox, food, water and toys and I go in and play with her frequently. But, I don't want to keep her locked up.

I would really appreciate any help.  I want ths to work out.

UPDATE:  Well, they are funny. My older cat (Susie) is still not completely accepting but she hasn't hurt the kitten. She growls at her and chases her out of her area (What she coniders her area) but hasn't attacked her.  The kitten is brazen.  She runs behind Susie to play with her and Susie makes the growling, hissing noise and I swear the kitten is laughing at her.  She thinks it's a game.

Thanks for all the tips. They really helped.

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamaof2angles
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:22 PM
well really there is NO easy way they have to establish *pecking order* aka whose queen bee alpha female etc.... They will hiss at each other and possiably swat at each other but your older cat doesnt sound too mean the kitten did what comes naturally once they are used to each other things will settle
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wymama610
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:24 PM

Let them both free, and they will get used to each other.  They aren't going to hurt each other, but there will be a lot of hissing and spitting the first few days.  I have introduced many cats over the years, and this is really the only way for them to figure out the hierarchy, and get along.  If you are really worried about the claws, get soft claws.  They glue on over the claws and are painless.  You can get them online, or at Petco, Petsmart, etc.....

mamaof2angles
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:26 PM
This (I forgot about that!)

Quoting wymama610:

Let them both free, and they will get used to each other.  They aren't going to hurt each other, but there will be a lot of hissing and spitting the first few days.  I have introduced many cats over the years, and this is really the only way for them to figure out the hierarchy, and get along.  If you are really worried about the claws, get soft claws.  They glue on over the claws and are painless.  You can get them online, or at Petco, Petsmart, etc.....

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Raintree
by Ruby Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:24 PM

See if you can find a kennel that you can place either cat in while the other cat is out. Sometimes goodwill or other used stores will have used dog kennels- something not too small. If they can get used to the seeing each other, they'll slowly warm up to one another. I'd wait until the kitten is a bit bigger before allowing them unsupervised contact with each other.

ashellbell
by shellbark on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:29 PM
The older cat will teach the younger cat boundaries. The kitten will probably stay out of her way. Soft claws are an awesome option.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Arroree
by Ruby Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:31 PM

Just let them roam free, they'll get used to eachother in time. It's usually quicker when one is still a kitten like that, the older female will likely eventually take her in as her baby. Even older fixed males will take a kitten as their baby after a few days.

Its been over a week with our two and they get along pretty well and even play together but still have moments of hissing and growling at eachother when they aren't in the mood for eachother. Its pretty normal.

wickedfiress
by Kellie on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:53 PM

Like everyone has said, they have to figure it out on their own.  IF you happen to see them fighting to the death or something (which is highly unlikely) you can spray them with water to break it up. 

eema.gray
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Actually, you're on the right track.  :-)  You keep the new animal in a room with a door for several days, going in to play with her.  Make a point of petting your older kitty when you come out, so she gets used to the smell of the new one.  

After a few days to a week, you put a baby gate in that doorway.  Bring the older cat up, play with her, give her treats, anything to keep her more or less in the area.  There will almost certainly be some growling, posturing, and showing of teeth.  After all, this has been HER house for the last couple years and cats don't like to share.  As often as you can monitor the situation, put the gate up and let them interact for several days longer.

At some point though, you have to bite the builet and release the baby into the house.  Again, there will probably be hissing, growling, and posturing.  There may be some batting as well, as older kitty tries to put baby in her place.  Unless the baby has absolutely no manners whatsoever, they will probably not actually **hurt** each other.

Then again, there's what my sister calls "the chaos theory" of introduction.  Essentially, she blocks off a room, stocks up with treats and toys, and brings the home animals in with the new one.  She stays there, interacts with everybody, but basically just lets them work it out in the span of an afternoon.  It's really not the best way to introduce new animals though.  :-P

wymama610
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:03 PM

I will be forever grateful that you suggested them :)

Quoting ashellbell:

The older cat will teach the younger cat boundaries. The kitten will probably stay out of her way. Soft claws are an awesome option.

Debmomto2girls
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:41 PM

Thank you for the suggestions! I'm going to get the soft claws for the older cat.  It will make me feel better. I don't think she would hurt the kitten but just in case. I

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)