Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

101-year-old Detroit woman foreclosed on, evicted

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:06 PM
  • 7 Replies
This video television frame grab provided by WXYZ.com shows Texana Hollis of Detroit.

This video television frame grab provided by WXYZ.com shows Texana Hollis of Detroit. (AP Photo/WXYZ.com)

(AP) 

DETROIT - A 101-year-old woman was evicted from the southwest Detroit home where she lived for nearly six decades after her 65-year-old son failed to pay the mortgage.

Texana Hollis was evicted Monday and her belongings were placed outside the home. Her son, Warren Hollis, said he didn't pay the bill for several years and disregarded eviction notices.

"I kept it from her because I didn't want to worry her," Warren Hollis told WXYZ-TV for a report that aired Monday night. "I was just so sure it wasn't going to happen."

Wayne County Chief Deputy Treasurer David Szymanski told The Associated Press on Tuesday that the Hollises took out an adjustable-rate mortgage in 2002. A default and foreclosure notice was filed in November.

"They ended up owing $80,000 on the home," Szymanski said. "Warren indicates he did not make the payments. He got the notices, but threw them away."

County records show that property taxes were paid on the home through summer 2010. A winter tax bill of $55.95, including interest and fees, was unpaid, and a $778.44 summer tax bill was due this month.

A neighbor was letting Texana and Warren Hollis live in a rental house across the street from the home they shared, and Texana Hollis' belongings were being moved there. Others, including a nonprofit organization, were working to get her back into her home.

On Monday night, she was taken to a hospital for evaluation after she became disoriented.

Szymanski said county officials were asking questions and looking into what they can do to help. He said the county has worked with 10,000 taxpayers to keep them from going into foreclosure.

"The teachable moment here is for people not to stick their head in the sand," he said.

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
itsallabtthem84
by Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Well that's nice that there are people willing to help her and so is the County Officials.

Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Indeed

Quoting itsallabtthem84:

Well that's nice that there are people willing to help her and so is the County Officials.

angelenia
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:15 PM
dude, her son needs his ass whipped. He didn't tell her because he didn't want to worry her? Wow! I am glad there are so many people willing to help her, though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
snwalways
by Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:18 PM

The son not only didn't tell her but took out a reverse loan against her house and never made payments... There are a lot from the community that are stepping in to help her. 

Lillias
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:42 PM

very sad

wickedfiress
by Kellie on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:55 PM

Her son is a fucking douche bag. 

NLangel1925
by Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:59 PM

I found this disturbing because of the son's comments.  [I read this article before I got on here today]  The comment "I was just so sure it wasn't going to happen" shows the mindframe of someone.  He should be the person punished for this, not his mother.  He was "so sure it wouldn't happen" because of her age and I'm sure that he thought the public would be outraged for kicking her out.  There needs to be tougher laws to protect the elderly!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)