Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Obama leads Perry, Romney in new poll

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:17 PM
  • 20 Replies

Obama leads Perry, Romney in new poll

• Barack Obama would beat Rick Perry by 11 percentage points in a head-to-head match up, while Romney would hold the president to a four-point lead, according to a poll released Tuesday by Public Policy Polling.

Obama beats all four of the GOP contenders that PPP included in its survey, but Romney holds him to the smallest lead; the former Massachusetts governor is also the only candidate to keep Obama from getting less than 50-percent support. Obama beats Bachmann by a 53�"39 margin, and Rick Perry by only slightly less - 52 percent to 41 percent. Newt Gingrich performs similarly, losing to the president 41�"53.

If Romney were the nominee and the election were held today, however, the race would be much tighter. Romney takes 45 percent of the vote to Obama's 49 percent.

Obama has widened his lead since PPP's last poll three weeks ago. Then, Obama led Perry by just 49 percent to 43 percent, and Romney and Obama tied at 45 percent.

However, a Rasmussen poll of 1,000 likely voters polled on September 10 and September 11 found Romney leading the president, 43 percent to 40 percent.

PPP notes that Obama has both shored up his support from his own party, as well as gotten more support from Republicans.

They also argue that Perry's fall comes from his comments that social security is a ponzi scheme, and a failure, a view generally considered to be unpopular among seniors. Just 10 percent of the population favors eliminating social security, while 82 percent oppose it. Seventy percent disagree with the statement that Social Security is a ponzi scheme; just 20 percent agree.

However, Perry does better than his average among older voters. 45 percent of voters aged 46 to 65 say they would vote compared to 47 percent for Obama. Among voters older than 65, half say they would vote for Obama, while 45 percent said they would vote for Perry.

PPP surveyed 665 U.S. voters using robo-calls from September 8 through September 11. The margin of error is plus or minus 3.8 percentage points.

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rfurlongg
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:20 PM
So much can change before the election...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lillias
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:28 PM

Polls are a rarely accurate depiction.  There is not one candidate that I can say I support.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:48 PM

Actually they have been pretty accurate

Quoting Lillias:

Polls are a rarely accurate depiction.  There is not one candidate that I can say I support.

mamaof2angles
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:51 PM
Just like a "wash" of 2 "special" elections says the country hates the president *rolls eyes* Holding a seat youve had forawhile in Nev and gaining a seat in NY DOES NOT A PRESIDENTAL ELECTION MAKE! Its called a "WASH"

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting Lillias:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tooptimistic
by Kelly on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting Lillias:

lol.. if this poll was true, and the others of the same time frame, the first woman president would be sitting in the oval office today.  If the polls were accurate the last election would have been Clinton vs. Guilliani. 

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/election2008/2007-06-04-poll_N.htm

Quote:

Among Democrats alone, Clinton leads Obama by 5 points, 34%-29%. That's a significant narrowing from the USA TODAY poll taken in mid-May, when she led by 17 points. Among independents, Obama leads by 9 points, 31%-22%.

Meanwhile, former New York mayor Rudy Giuliani leads the Republican field at 32%, up three points from the poll in mid-May. Arizona Sen. John McCain was second at 19%, down four points.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:58 PM

Quoting tooptimistic:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting Lillias:

lol.. if this poll was true, and the others of the same time frame, the first woman president would be sitting in the oval office today.  If the polls were accurate the last election would have been Clinton vs. Guilliani. 

Quote:

Among Democrats alone, Clinton leads Obama by 5 points, 34%-29%. That's a significant narrowing from the USA TODAY poll taken in mid-May, when she led by 17 points. Among independents, Obama leads by 9 points, 31%-22%.

Meanwhile, former New York mayor Rudy Giuliani leads the Republican field at 32%, up three points from the poll in mid-May. Arizona Sen. John McCain was second at 19%, down four points.

At that time in the polls she was leading....It depends of when its taken and what happens, they are static...They ALSO showed when Obama closed the ground between them....

CAluv
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Republicans don't know what's good for them. If Huntsman got the nom, I'd consider voting for him. I haven't researched him much but his initial statments about global warming and abortion seemed very promising.

gotnothinonme
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:01 PM

ugh....I have a headache, lol....and this stuff is starting too soon!- I have no clue who I will be supporting for the presidential election yet, I don't really see ANYONE on board that I'd pick yet- but if it's the usual pattern, I will go with not the "best" but the one that is "marginally better than" the others, lol.

tooptimistic
by Kelly on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting tooptimistic:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting Lillias:

Quote:

At that time in the polls she was leading....It depends of when its taken and what happens, they are static...They ALSO showed when Obama closed the ground between them....

I confused.. they are accurate at what then?

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:13 PM

They are showing , If the election was help TODAY and those were the choices, OBAMA would win

Now, things may change in the next 6 months if something happens to affect how poeple see any of the three,,,,'

Its not difficult to understand

They are a barometer of where people are NOW

Quoting tooptimistic:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting tooptimistic:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting Lillias:

Quote:

I confused.. they are accurate at what then?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)