• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Jackie Kennedy's '60s views shock granddaughters

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:28 PM
  • 9 Replies

Former first lady Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis relaxes in a chair in December 1960, a few weeks after John F. Kennedy won the presidential election. (AFP/Getty Images)

(CBS/AP)  Updated at 12:57 p.m.

NEW YORK - Caroline Kennedy says her daughters were "horrified" by Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis' old-fashioned view of the role of women in taped interviews released this week.

Jackie Kennedy: Martin Luther King Jr. "phony"
Audio tapes reveal Jackie Kennedy's catty side

In the 1964 interviews with Arthur Schlesinger Jr., the young widow described her marriage as "a rather terribly Victorian or Asiatic relationship" and said she got all her opinions from her husband, President John F. Kennedy.

Pictures: Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis
Pictures: Caroline Kennedy
Pictures: JFK, The White House Years

ABC News reports that the former first lady also gave Schlesinger her view on the place of women in politics at the time.

"I think women should never be in politics. We're just not suited to it," she said on the tapes, according to ABC.

Caroline Kennedy said Wednesday on ABC's "Good Morning America" that her two daughters were "absolutely horrified" when they listened to that portion of the tapes.

She said they asked: "Did she really think that?"

But Caroline Kennedy says the tapes are "just a snapshot of a world we barely recognize."

The audio recordings are being released Wednesday along with a book, "Jacqueline Kennedy: Historic Conversations on Life With John F. Kennedy."

"This book shows Jackie Kennedy unplugged," historian and CBS News analyst Douglas Brinkley told CBS' "The Early Show" Monday.

(Watch at left)

"A lot of the rawness of her feelings, I think, as a young woman -- she's is only in her 30s when she is doing these tapes in 1964 -- is very different from the more poised and discreet Jackie Kennedy we got to know in the 1980s and 1990s," Brinkley told "Early Show" co-anchor Erica Hill.

Brinkley told Hill he "was close to Arthur Schlesinger, the professor. He died a few years ago. Ted Sorensen, one of the other keepers of the flame, died, and I think Caroline Kennedy thought, it's the 50th anniversary right now of the Kennedy presidency, and this is sitting there, and it was time to let her mother have her say, and decided to come public with this."

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:03 PM

agreed

Quote:

But Caroline Kennedy says the tapes are "just a snapshot of a world we barely recognize."

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:12 PM

If the grandkids are shocked by this, then Mom (Caroline) isn't doing a very good job 'enlightening' them to what the world really was like for women 'back then'. 

Layla19
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 6:59 AM

I think a lot of women need to understand better what life was like for our forebears.

And now I'm seeing four bears.  Like at the circus.  It is 5:59 a.m., I have had no sleep, and I am officially off the deep end.

canadianmom1974
by Platinum Member on Sep. 15, 2011 at 8:17 AM

I agree with all the pp's.  It was a totally different world for women, and especially as the First Lady or a political wife in those days, those were the opinions she was 'allowed' to have.  At least in public.

blondekosmic15
by Ruby Member on Sep. 15, 2011 at 12:30 PM

Jackie Kennedy disliked Catholics, said they always felt persecuted

Sharp words for mother-in-law Rose Kennedy in new book

Jackie O and JFK lounge at home

Jackie Kennedy was suspicious of Catholics believing many of them had persecution complexes.

She revealed her dislike in interviews she gave soon after her husband was assassinated. Those interviews are part of a new book, "Jacqueline Kennedy: Historic Conversations on Life with John F. Kennedy," by former Kennedy aide and historian Arthur M. Schlesinger Jr right after her husband was assassinated on Nov. 22, 1963.

In the book Jakie comments in one interview on the suspicious nature of her mother-in-law Rose Kennedy, a devout Catholic, and says she always demanded to know if someone was Catholic

"There seems to be about all these Irish — they always seem to have a sort of persecution thing about them, don't they?" she asks.

She also revealed a deep dislike for Martin Luther King, the civil rights leader after comments she says he made at JFK’s funeral.

In the interview, she called him "tricky" and a "phony" after she was told about sex tapes of King made by the FBI.

She claimed King had mocked her husband's funeral and Cardinal Richard Cushing, who celebrated Mass at the funeral.

"He made fun of Cardinal Cushing and said that he was drunk at it," she said. "And things about they almost dropped the coffin. I just can't see a picture of Martin Luther King without thinking, you know, that man's terrible."

In a poignant part of the book Sclesinger asked John John, 3 at the time, what happened to his father
"He's gone to heaven," the little boy said.

And what did the child remember about dad?

"I don't remember anything," the lad known as John-John replies.

Jackie also disliked another leading Irish American, Texas governor John Connolly, who was in the car and was wounded the day JFK was shot in Dallas.

She reveals she discussed her dislike of Connolly the night before the fatal day.

She told JFK she couldn't stand him and his "soft mouth."

"Jack was so sweet. He sort of rubbed my back ... and said, 'You mustn't say that, you mustn't say that,'" she recalled. "If you start to say or think that you hate someone, then the next day you'll act as if you hated him."

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Jackie-Kennedy-disliked-Catholics-said-they-always-felt-persecuted-129564943.html

READ MORE:

Jackie Kennedy believed LBJ had her husband killed new tape shows

Pres. & Mrs. John Kennedy

Controversial Jackie O tapes - First Lady talks openly about her adultery and JFK’s assassination

Orkut Scraps - Angel

OHgirlinCA
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 1:01 PM

Wow... It sounds like she wasn't much more than a trophy wife.  I'm happy we, as women, have come further in the past few decades on how we view ourselves and our roles as women.

blondekosmic15
by Ruby Member on Sep. 15, 2011 at 1:27 PM

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

Wow... It sounds like she wasn't much more than a trophy wife.  I'm happy we, as women, have come further in the past few decades on how we view ourselves and our roles as women.

I felt bad for Jackie b/c she had to tolerate her husband's behavior due to the Presidency. It's difficult to know the authencity of this information. I did watch an interview several yrs ago of one of John's mistresses who was dying of a terminal illness { I believe some type of cancer } and she desired to clear her conscience of the abortion she had @ the request of John Kennedy. Unfortunately the males in the family seemingly followed in their father's footsteps concerning women and adultery~

Orkut Scraps - Angel

romalove
by Roma on Sep. 15, 2011 at 1:29 PM

I watched the two hour special the other night.  I thought it was fascinating, and I "get" why Caroline wanted to release the tapes, and I can appreciate that she refused to edit out the less PC stuff, wanting her mother's words to be true to what they were.  However, there is part of me that feels it's unfair to Jackie to have this be left as what she thought, since it was 1964 and I'm sure that many of her ideas changed over the years, and she is not here to clarify.

Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Sep. 15, 2011 at 1:41 PM
Indeed

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

agreed

Quote:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)