Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Too lazy for the library? Amazon might rent you a book

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:05 PM
  • 5 Replies

Too lazy for the library? Amazon might rent you a book

In case you missed it…

All those bibliophiles too lazy to visit a library might soon be able to borrow books from Amazon — for a fee, of course.

The Wall Street Journal reported Monday that Amazon is in super-secretnot-secret-enough talks with publishers to talk about launching a rental service for digital books. (Think Netflix, but with words instead of Jennifer Aniston movies.) The service would reportedly cost Amazon Prime members $79 annually.

This report comes as Amazon — the longtime manufacturer of the Kindle e-reader — is poised to release a tablet computer.

Will e-book rentals happen? Wall Street Journal sources are skeptical, saying publishers are concerned about how the service would impact sales and impact relationships with distributors.

Visit seattlepi.com’s home page for more Seattle news. Contact Amy Rolph at amyrolph@seattlepi.com or on Twitter as @amyrolph and @bigblog.

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
SuperChicken
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:10 PM

I get e-books and audiobooks free from my library's website.   All from the comfort of the chair I'm sitting in right now.  I can be as lazy as ever!  Why would I need Amazon?

tooptimistic
by Kelly on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:10 PM

oh.. oh.. Please let it be..

I will so get a kindle if they will "rent" me a book for a few bucks instead of making me buy it.  With three kids I can't afford the ebooks, so I go old school and just check them out from the library.

tooptimistic
by Kelly on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:11 PM

Quoting SuperChicken:

I get e-books and audiobooks free from my library's website.   All from the comfort of the chair I'm sitting in right now.  I can be as lazy as ever!  Why would I need Amazon?

my library doesn't do ebooks.  :(

wickedfiress
by Kellie on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:13 PM

I think this is an awesome idea! 

matofour
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:38 PM
I figured it was coming! It seems like a logical step to me.
I have a kindle, I love it. I personally wouldn't rent books, but I could see where for some people it would be a good thing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)