Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SAT scores for Texas high school students drop sharply

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:49 PM
  • 11 Replies

Jmo, but it sounds like in one breath they are blaming minority students, and the next they are using this as a marker of a positive step forward.  Thoughts, questions, comments?

Texas high school students stumbled badly on the SAT this year as scores dropped sharply in math, reading and writing to their lowest levels in several years.

They were not alone -- average scores across the nation on the college entrance exam also dropped, although not as precipitously as in Texas.

In the last decade, Texas students’ reading scores on the SAT have steadily dropped. Math scores are up slightly in that time, though they’ve dropped since the middle of the decade. And results on the SAT writing test have dropped every year in Texas since it was introduced in 2006.

The average math score for the class of 2011 in Texas was 502, down three points from a year ago. In reading, the average score was down five points to 479, the lowest in several years. And in writing, the average score was down eight points to 465.

Nationally, the average for math was 514 – down two points – and for reading 497 – down four points. The writing score was down three points.

Each section of the SAT has a maximum score of 800.

Texas Education Agency officials pointed to the large increase in the number of minority students in Texas taking the SAT, which has historically seen black and Hispanic students post lower scores than white students. Those ethnic groups made up about half of the students who took the SAT in Texas.

State Education Commissioner Robert Scott said the fact that so many minority students are taking the SAT and planning for a college education is a positive sign for the future.

“There is clearly an increase in the college-going culture in this state,” Scott said. “Whether it’s elementary schools decorated with college pennants, new high-tech science and technology programs, or expanding dual enrollment and Advanced Placement courses, there is a synergy in Texas that is causing more students to consider going to college.”

Scott also noted that Texas minority students outscored their counterparts across the nation on the math section of the SAT, registering slight gains while minority scores across the nation dropped. Reading and writing results for Texas minority students were down, however.

The decline in scores in Texas and other states came as a surprise to state officials, who noted that scores improved on other tests -- such as the ACT, the other major college entrance exam in the U.S.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/state/headlines/20110914-sat-scores-for-texas-high-school-students-drop-sharply.ece

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IhartU
by Gold Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:55 PM

Maybe they should 'pray' about it.

BleedinHeartMom
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:00 PM
This is why me and DH have decided when my oldest starts jr high we are finding the best school district in the country and mving there...I actually dont want to wait that long...thats why im looking for a place in the northeast and especially vermont and pennsylvania right now
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
im23vaughn
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:02 PM

This is one of things that has me hesitant to move to TX. We were going to move there due to a job offer. But we decided against it. Time and time again the more I learn about TX the more I am not sure if I want to move there. I am now looking at Pheonix, Virginia, and the carolinas. But I have to find out more information about their state.

2hotTaco
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:06 PM

Oh I guess cutting funds for education is a bad thing? Who knew?!

Layla19
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 6:42 AM

I thought my math score was terrible, and it was WAY higher than that.  What's happened?  And can't some parents teach their kids it's okay to put in more time studying, and not just drop everything when the bell rings for the day?

rfurlongg
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 8:04 AM
Shocker right?

Quoting 2hotTaco:

Oh I guess cutting funds for education is a bad thing? Who knew?!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rfurlongg
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 8:11 AM
There are actually several individual school that ate ranked as the best in the nation. I know that Townview Magnet I'm Dallas has been ranked the best highschool in the nation for at least 2 years now. As a whole the DISD district is terrible, but there are certain schools that shine. If you have to move to Texas I suggest studying districts/schools individually, not as an averaged whole. Just a suggestion.

Quoting im23vaughn:

This is one of things that has me hesitant to move to TX. We were going to move there due to a job offer. But we decided against it. Time and time again the more I learn about TX the more I am not sure if I want to move there. I am now looking at Pheonix, Virginia, and the carolinas. But I have to find out more information about their state.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
im23vaughn
by Silver Member on Sep. 15, 2011 at 10:53 AM

That is true. Some schools are okay. But i have heard a lot about different changes to the curriculum at TX schools. Plus, there is so much more I have learned about TX that really makes me not want to be there. Governors and state school boards are making big changes to the educational system as a whole in TX. And not in a good way.  

Quoting rfurlongg:

There are actually several individual school that ate ranked as the best in the nation. I know that Townview Magnet I'm Dallas has been ranked the best highschool in the nation for at least 2 years now. As a whole the DISD district is terrible, but there are certain schools that shine. If you have to move to Texas I suggest studying districts/schools individually, not as an averaged whole. Just a suggestion.

Quoting im23vaughn:

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Sep. 15, 2011 at 12:10 PM
Never took the SAT... we were only required to take the ACT...

Anyways, my district is "exemplary" according to national standards so I'm not worried... There are bad districts in TX and good ones.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
candlegal
by Judy on Sep. 15, 2011 at 12:29 PM

as in every state

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Never took the SAT... we were only required to take the ACT...

Anyways, my district is "exemplary" according to national standards so I'm not worried... There are bad districts in TX and good ones.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)