Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Playing with guns.

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:11 PM
  • 17 Replies
Do you think boys,(kids), playing with guns, army men, or vidoe games promote violence?

Or maybe even down plays it?

Are these toys just part of being a kid?

Do you ban these toys in your home?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:14 PM

We don't ban toy guns in our house.  My kids know the difference between a toy and a real gun.  I don't think it promotes violence.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:26 PM

I have always had a gun, so they knew the difference, and knew that guns were meant to kill. But he'd go outside with his little friends and play army or whatever and use sticks as guns. He's now 31, and a very passive person. 

OHgirlinCA
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:30 PM

My kids play video games and they play with army men and play guns.  They love Nerf and water guns.  I don't think they promote violence.  My kids understand real guns are not toys and they can hurt people. 

heidimoose134
by Momma Moose on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:31 PM

I fully support children playing cops and robbers, pirates, cowboys, etc. 

It's our job as parents to make sure they understand the difference between play and reality, fake guns vs. real guns and the very real danger of using a real gun carelessly.

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:34 PM

We had them for our kids and they too knew the difference....they were allowed (supervised) to shoot real guns, to experience the noise and the results of what they can do. Taking away toy guns DOES make them more imaginative....they turn to hot dogs, naked barbie, sticks, legos and heck even a pecker was once used as a pretend gun in this house!

PamR
by Ruby Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:36 PM

I'm not crazy about it.  We don't own guns and my girls never really played at shooting.  I teach preschool and the little boys in my class are always turning something into a "pow-pow." 

Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:36 PM

LOL

Quoting Woodbabe:

We had them for our kids and they too knew the difference....they were allowed (supervised) to shoot real guns, to experience the noise and the results of what they can do. Taking away toy guns DOES make them more imaginative....they turn to hot dogs, naked barbie, sticks, legos and heck even a pecker was once used as a pretend gun in this house!

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:39 PM

Can't help but cheer on a naked preschooler's imagination!

Quoting Peanutx3:

LOL

Quoting Woodbabe:

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

ChancesMommy07
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:42 PM

My son has toy ones and we have real ones. I don't think it promotes violence. He doesn't even point his toy ones at people, he knows that he is only supposed to point at targets. My husbands favorite picture (and my moms too) is one of our son holding a toy gun and doing a "scarface" pose.

Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:42 PM

LMAO nope.

I have the cutest picture of my youngest daughter, she was all of 2 holding her big brother's toy gun and making the bang bang sound.  Looking all innocent I might add.

Quoting Woodbabe:

Can't help but cheer on a naked preschooler's imagination!

Quoting Peanutx3:

LOL

Quoting Woodbabe:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)