Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fan's Religious Self-Defense For Stun Gun Use

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:45 PM
  • 18 Replies

Fan's Religious Self-Defense For Stun Gun Use

An NFL fan's failure to stand for the national anthem or keep quiet during a moment of silence during a 9/11 ceremony lead to an embarrassing stun gun fight.

Larry McKelvey, a Dallas Cowboys fan caught on tape using his stun gun on three people at Sunday night's Jets game, is defending his awful conduct.

The New York Daily News reports a group of Gang Green fans disapproved when McKelvey failed to stand for the national anthem and talked on his cell phone during a moment of silence for 9/11 victims. The 59-year-old said "I did what I had to do." He claims he's not a "criminal" and was just protecting himself.

The condemned Cowboys fan was released on $22,500 bail Monday night from a New Jersey jail. McKelvey's son, a New York radio deejay, told the newspaper it's against his Jehovah Witness father's religious beliefs to stand for the national anthem.

Police charged the man with three counts of aggravated assault and illegal possession of a stun gun.

ThePostGame brings you the most interesting sports stories on the web.
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter to read them first!

Power 105.1's Charlamagne Tha God, McKelvey's son, says his old man walked right past security with the stun gun on his hip, rather than sneaking it by clueless security guards.

A witness told the Daily News that McKelvey was being "obnoxious," and chatted with friends during "Taps." When he attempted to get up and use the restroom, nobody would let him out. That led to some mean-spirited words and the use of the taser.

video

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" id="video" width="513" height="424.75" data="http://www.myfoxny.com/video/videoplayer.swf?dppversion=11212"><param

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Layla19
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 6:21 AM

Was using the stun gun required by his religion?  Because I don't think he's in trouble for not standing.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Sep. 15, 2011 at 10:03 AM

What? He's 56 and he's still living by his fathers rules? Time to grow up, don't you think? 

SuperChicken
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 10:06 AM

It sounds like he needs a mental health evaluation. 

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Sep. 15, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Where did you get this from?

Quoting EireLass:

What? He's 56 and he's still living by his fathers rules? Time to grow up, don't you think? 

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Sep. 15, 2011 at 10:09 AM
Dude just sounds like a dick.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Sep. 15, 2011 at 10:10 AM

no, but he says he was harassed by a marine and two other guys that started yelling at him..when he tried to get up to go to the bathroom, they wouldn't allow him to leave...then he used his stungun

1) he should have been arrested for having the stun gun

2) I can understand him feeling threatened by three guys at a football game not letting him leave, especially noting the violent fights that have taken place the last 8 weeks or so at sporting events

3) The marine should know better, some people are going to sit through the anthem, talk through TAPS...its AMERICA...home of the FREE, remember??

Quoting Layla19:

Was using the stun gun required by his religion?  Because I don't think he's in trouble for not standing.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Sep. 15, 2011 at 10:50 AM

I mis-read. Ooops. But still didn't think a stun gun was part of the JW faith. Otherwise, they'd have used them on my 3 dogs when they refused to leave my yard and I let the pups loose.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting EireLass:

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Sep. 15, 2011 at 11:04 AM

The stun gun was illegal and wasnt mentioned in connection to his faith

The fact that he didn't stand during the anthem was...They don't vote and consider the flag a false idol ( i believe)

Quoting EireLass:

I mis-read. Ooops. But still didn't think a stun gun was part of the JW faith. Otherwise, they'd have used them on my 3 dogs when they refused to leave my yard and I let the pups loose.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting EireLass:

OHgirlinCA
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 11:30 AM

I don't understand why standing up for the National Anthem would be against a religion, but the man has a right not to.  People were upset that he was talking on his cell phone and being disrespectful during the National Anthem and the moment of silence.  I can understand that.  I would have been too. 

The fans should have let him leave, but he went way overboard when he decided to use a stun gun.  I also think it's crazy he was able to get past security with it, especially when talks of a possible threat in New York were going on....

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Sep. 15, 2011 at 11:34 AM

and former President Bush was there..so yea, security is in TROUBLE

The stun gun was illegal, he should be arested for that

As for not standing and being disrespectful...I wouldn't say a word to him, its his right even when I don't agree...The marine should know that...

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

I don't understand why standing up for the National Anthem would be against a religion, but the man has a right not to.  People were upset that he was talking on his cell phone and being disrespectful during the National Anthem and the moment of silence.  I can understand that.  I would have been too. 

The fans should have let him leave, but he went way overboard when he decided to use a stun gun.  I also think it's crazy he was able to get past security with it, especially when talks of a possible threat in New York were going on....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)