Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Minnesota professor offers $1,000 for Bachmann's HPV vaccine victim

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:31 PM
  • 8 Replies

Minnesota professor offers $1,000 for Bachmann's HPV vaccine victim

Updated: September 14, 2011 - 3:43 PM

A University of Minnesota bioethicist is offering $1,000 for medical proof that a woman’s daughter suffered mental retardation from the vaccine for human papillomavirus virus, a story that was told by Rep. Michele Bachmann after Monday’s debate.

Bachmann has come under fire from the medical community for suggesting the vaccination for the HPV virus, a sexually transmitted disease that can cause cervical cancer, is linked to mental illness.

Steven Miles, a U of M bioethics professor, said that he’ll give $1,000 if the medical records of the woman from Bachmann’s story are released and can be viewed by a medical professional.

His offer was upped by his former boss from the University of Minnesota, Art Caplan, who is now director of the University of Pennsylvania Center for Bioethics. Caplan said he would match Miles' challenge and offered $10,000 for proof of the HPV vaccine victim.

“These types of messages in this climate have the capacity to do enormous public health harm,” Miles said of why he made the offer. “The woman, assuming she exists, put this claim into the public domain and it’s an extremely serious claim and it deserves to be analyzed.”

After attacking Texas Gov. Rick Perry over his vaccination executive order at Monday’s debate — which scored Bachmann points from debate pundits — the Minnesota Republican said a woman had told her that the HPV vaccine had caused her daughter’s mental retardation. Bachmann repeated the story on NBC’s “Today” the next morning.

“There’s a woman that came up crying to me tonight after the debate,” Bachman told Fox News. “She said her daughter was given that vaccine. She said her daughter suffered mental retardation as a result of that vaccine.”

The comment has sparked widespread criticism from the medical community, which has said Bachmann was stoking unfounded fears similar to claims made about vaccines and Autism. The Centers for Disease Control website makes no mention of mental illness in its “adverse events”report on the HPV vaccine.

Bachmann somewhat walked back her comments Tuesday on Sean Hannity’s radio show, where she said she had “no idea” if the HPV vaccine was linked to mental illness. “I’m not a doctor, I’m not a scientist, I’m not a physician,” Bachmann said. “All I was doing is reporting what this woman told me last night at the debate.”

Miles and Caplan said they aren’t expecting much from their offer, but they are prepared to pay should the Bachmann campaign provide the woman or if she comes forward independently

http://www.startribune.com/politics/blogs/129821498.html

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
jessilin0113
by Ruby Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:38 PM

No, she's absolutely not and she should be more careful about what she says as a public figure.  That was very irresponsible of her.

Quote:

“I’m not a doctor, I’m not a scientist, I’m not a physician,” Bachmann said. “All I was doing is reporting what this woman told me last night at the debate.”

-Eilish-
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:44 PM

Why does he need just one victim of Gardisil ... there are so many to choose from

If I were Bachman (and I'm certainly no fan of hers), I'd ask him if he'd pay $1000 per victim - I'd be a rich woman in no time flat.

BleedinHeartMom
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:48 PM

from part of that article you posted the link to

Alliance for Human Research Protection reports that of the original 1,637 adverse events 371 were serious reactions, including the three original deaths linked to Merck's vaccine. A female patient "died of a blood clot three hours after getting the Gardasil vaccine." Two other reports, on girls 12 and 19, reported deaths relating to heart problems and/or blood clotting.

Other serious side-effects reported included paralysis, Bells Palsy, Guillain-Barre Syndrome, and seizures. And of 42 women who were vaccinated with Gardasil while pregnant, 18 experienced complications, ranging from miscarriages to fetal abnormalities, according to new FDA data. One of the 18 women was diagnosed with an abnormal fetus, and a test conducted on another woman during her pregnancy showed an increased risk of fetal defect.

Learn more:http://www.naturalnews.com/022140.html#ixzz1XzPeZGX8

Momniscient
by Obama licker on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:52 PM

Quoting jessilin0113:

No, she's absolutely not and she should be more careful about what she says as a public figure.  That was very irresponsible of her.

Quote:

“I’m not a doctor, I’m not a scientist, I’m not a physician,” Bachmann said. “All I was doing is reporting what this woman told me last night at the debate.”

Momof2Stepof3
by Bronze Member on Sep. 15, 2011 at 12:02 AM

Isn't there a well known case of a cheerleader who became very ill I want to say she was wheel chair bond after getting the shot so that professor better get ready for some people contacting him. 

I know my DD will not be getting that shot or any shot of its kind.

BleedinHeartMom
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 12:05 AM

Did the Gardasil Vaccine Cause Teen’s Paralysis?

13-year-old Jenny Tetlock developed a degenerative neuromuscular disease one month after receiving her third dose of Gardasil; her family thinks the vaccine may be to blame.
By Anastacia Mott Austin

Until March of 2008, then-12-year-old Jenny Tetlock was like any other preteen. But about a month after receiving her third dose of Merck’s Gardasil vaccine, she began to develop symptoms of a neuromuscular disease.

Slowly, over the course of the next year, Jenny’s muscle strength deteriorated to the point that she now must use a wheelchair and cannot even feed herself. The official diagnosis has been an unspecified neurodegenerative disease.

Her parents have become convinced, after researching the vaccine and its reported (and sometimes unreported) side effects, that that Gardasil vaccine is somehow connected to Jenny’s decline.

Indeed, there have been reports of fainting after the shots, and some serious side effects, including deaths. The watchdog group Judicial Watch reports that there have been 10 deaths since September 2007 associated with the Gardasil vaccine, as well as 140 reports of serious side effects, like Guillain-Barre syndrome, a neurodegenerative condition increasingly connected with vaccines. The FDA does not seem concerned, and says it is aware of the increased risk of fainting in teenaged girls receiving the vaccine.

"We're monitoring the safety of the HPV vaccine very carefully," said Robert Ball, the biostatistics director of the FDA, to reporters. "And the only adverse event that causes some concern is syncope or fainting after the vaccine."

Jenny’s rather, Phillip Tetlock, a professor at UC Berkeley in California, is especially concerned that a letter from the FDA to Merck in April of 2008 discussed possible safety violations in the manufacturing process of some lots of the vaccine, including those his daughter received.

Tetlock has begun a blog about the story of his daughter’s illness, (JenTet.com), partly in hopes to find other similar cases to bolster the case of the vaccine causing the condition, and to find help for Jenny.

Her condition does present very much like Guillaine-Barre Syndrome (GBS), a muscle and nerve wasting condition that has been tied to several vaccines, including the polio vaccine.

Merck responds (of course) that the Gardasil vaccine is perfectly safe. Kelley Dougherty, a representative from Merck, told reporters, "We're aware of this case and based on the facts that we've received, the information doesn't suggest that this event was causally associated with vaccination."

Critics of Merck’s response and the Gardasil vaccine itself say that the shot’s safety was not properly tested on girls in Jenny’s age group.

One aspect of Merck’s testing of Gardasil that rankles critics in particular is that the control group receiving the placebo dose (without the HPV vaccine), had some of the same chemical additions, called adjuvants, that the vaccine did. Meaning, because all the test subjects received shots with some chemical adjuvants that may have been responsible for side effects, there was no real control group who had no chemicals injected. The two groups would have tested similarly to side effect responses, and the vaccine would appear to be less harmful than it might actually be.

Whatever the reason, Jenny Tetlock’s family wishes they had done more research before giving the Gardasil vaccine to their daughter. "Jenny endures terrible suffering each day," Phillip Tetlock told Deborah Kotz of The U.S. News and World Report. "She must watch her capacity to control her own body gradually ebb away, and each day her hopes of ever having a normal human life recede ever further into memory. The disease is cruel beyond belief."

For more information about why you should think long and hard before considering this vaccination for anyone in your family, see the Buzzle article entitled "The Gardasil Vaccine: Bad Medicine?" written by yours truly.
By Buzzle Staff and Agencies
Published: 7/4/2008
TerriAnne2606
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 11:31 AM

She was found to be faking it. 

Quoting Momof2Stepof3:

Isn't there a well known case of a cheerleader who became very ill I want to say she was wheel chair bond after getting the shot so that professor better get ready for some people contacting him. 

I know my DD will not be getting that shot or any shot of its kind.

-Eilish-
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 1:17 PM

Of course Merck insists that their vaccine is safe, they're financially invested in your blind trust.

Quoting BleedinHeartMom:

Did the Gardasil Vaccine Cause Teen’s Paralysis?

13-year-old Jenny Tetlock developed a degenerative neuromuscular disease one month after receiving her third dose of Gardasil; her family thinks the vaccine may be to blame.
By Anastacia Mott Austin

Until March of 2008, then-12-year-old Jenny Tetlock was like any other preteen. But about a month after receiving her third dose of Merck’s Gardasil vaccine, she began to develop symptoms of a neuromuscular disease.

Slowly, over the course of the next year, Jenny’s muscle strength deteriorated to the point that she now must use a wheelchair and cannot even feed herself. The official diagnosis has been an unspecified neurodegenerative disease.

Her parents have become convinced, after researching the vaccine and its reported (and sometimes unreported) side effects, that that Gardasil vaccine is somehow connected to Jenny’s decline.

Indeed, there have been reports of fainting after the shots, and some serious side effects, including deaths. The watchdog group Judicial Watch reports that there have been 10 deaths since September 2007 associated with the Gardasil vaccine, as well as 140 reports of serious side effects, like Guillain-Barre syndrome, a neurodegenerative condition increasingly connected with vaccines. The FDA does not seem concerned, and says it is aware of the increased risk of fainting in teenaged girls receiving the vaccine.

"We're monitoring the safety of the HPV vaccine very carefully," said Robert Ball, the biostatistics director of the FDA, to reporters. "And the only adverse event that causes some concern is syncope or fainting after the vaccine."

Jenny’s rather, Phillip Tetlock, a professor at UC Berkeley in California, is especially concerned that a letter from the FDA to Merck in April of 2008 discussed possible safety violations in the manufacturing process of some lots of the vaccine, including those his daughter received.

Tetlock has begun a blog about the story of his daughter’s illness, (JenTet.com), partly in hopes to find other similar cases to bolster the case of the vaccine causing the condition, and to find help for Jenny.

Her condition does present very much like Guillaine-Barre Syndrome (GBS), a muscle and nerve wasting condition that has been tied to several vaccines, including the polio vaccine.

Merck responds (of course) that the Gardasil vaccine is perfectly safe. Kelley Dougherty, a representative from Merck, told reporters, "We're aware of this case and based on the facts that we've received, the information doesn't suggest that this event was causally associated with vaccination."

Critics of Merck’s response and the Gardasil vaccine itself say that the shot’s safety was not properly tested on girls in Jenny’s age group.

One aspect of Merck’s testing of Gardasil that rankles critics in particular is that the control group receiving the placebo dose (without the HPV vaccine), had some of the same chemical additions, called adjuvants, that the vaccine did. Meaning, because all the test subjects received shots with some chemical adjuvants that may have been responsible for side effects, there was no real control group who had no chemicals injected. The two groups would have tested similarly to side effect responses, and the vaccine would appear to be less harmful than it might actually be.

Whatever the reason, Jenny Tetlock’s family wishes they had done more research before giving the Gardasil vaccine to their daughter. "Jenny endures terrible suffering each day," Phillip Tetlock told Deborah Kotz of The U.S. News and World Report. "She must watch her capacity to control her own body gradually ebb away, and each day her hopes of ever having a normal human life recede ever further into memory. The disease is cruel beyond belief."

For more information about why you should think long and hard before considering this vaccination for anyone in your family, see the Buzzle article entitled "The Gardasil Vaccine: Bad Medicine?" written by yours truly.
By Buzzle Staff and Agencies
Published: 7/4/2008

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)