Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Would you pay $35,800 to eat dinner with Obama?

Posted by on Oct. 24, 2011 at 3:10 PM
  • 38 Replies

I saw this in The Stir - Would you pay $35,800 to eat dinner with Obama?

Obama's $35,000-a-Plate Dinner Feeds All the Wrong People
Posted by Jacqueline Burt on October 24, 2011

obama tacoOh-bama! Looks like tonight is going to turn out to be a veritable windfall for President Barack Obama's re-election campaign, with back-to-back fundraisers hosted by some of Hollywood's brightest (or at least wealthiest) stars. First up: A $35,800 per-person dinner hosted by Will and Jada Pinkett Smith at the Los Angeles home of Hitch producer James Lassiter and his wife, Mai. Wondering whose pockets are deep enough for din-din with the prez? Attendees will include Troy Carter (Lady Gaga's manager) and his wife Rebecca and Def Jam senior vp Jay Brown and his wife Kawanna, head of Magic Johnson Enterprises.

Personally, I can think of a few folks Obama should add to the guest list. Low-maintenance types. The kind of people who would probably be perfectly willing to split an entree.

I'm talking, of course, about some of the very people Obama addressed in his jobs speech last month: The homeless population of Los Angeles. Not that they could all fit in the President's limo, of course -- at 11.9 percent (as of August), L.A.'s unemployment rate is still significantly higher than the national jobless rate of 9.1 percent.

Even so, certainly a handful of struggling SoCal residents could be accommodated. Obama could just swing by and pick up some local "job-seekers" who live under bridges and sleep on sidewalks on his way from the airport to hang with Will and Jada.

Or better yet, considering the fact that the average homeless person could live for a year on what their would-be fellow diners are paying for a plate, maybe a few guests would be willing to forgo their promised meal and give the money to a member of Obama's unemployed entourage instead. I mean, it's not like Lady Gaga's manager is gonna starve to death if he skips a meal, right? Anyway, I'm sure Will or Jada would slip him a bread basket or something.

As for Obama's re-election campaign, the second gala event of the evening should make up for any financial loss: Tickets for the Latino fundraiser to be held at the home of Melanie Griffith-Banderas and co-hosted by Eva Longoria aren't exactly cheap (between $5,000 and $35,800).

by on Oct. 24, 2011 at 3:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Oct. 24, 2011 at 3:12 PM

Not unless he was giving me a million dollars in return.  That's about how much we make in a year, so no way.

muslimah
by on Oct. 24, 2011 at 3:14 PM
5 moms liked this

I wouldn't eat with him if it was free.

Click to join

jehosoba84
by Jenn on Oct. 24, 2011 at 3:15 PM
3 moms liked this

Nope, I might go so far as to say you couldnt pay me 35,800 to eat with him.

tweety101149
by Platinum Member on Oct. 24, 2011 at 3:18 PM
2 moms liked this

Nope...   If I could afford a donation of $35,000+ I would donate it to putting people back to work...  The rediculous amounts of money raised at the candiates fund raisers...would knock a huge hole in the deficieit this country is in.  Why is it that when looking for ways to save money we alwayscut salaries of the working class,  lay-off people or down size...but the people we elect never cut their own salaries or expense accounts.  

butterfly on headlynda  

parrishsky
by Maxfield on Oct. 24, 2011 at 3:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Not likely. If I had that kind of money to throw around I'd use it for better causes (homeless, women's shelters, food banks). He's raising plenty without my help.

tigger904
by on Oct. 24, 2011 at 3:23 PM
1 mom liked this

HELL NO  Even if I had unlimited money

theresaphilly
by on Oct. 24, 2011 at 3:25 PM
Nope, have no problem with the president, but that is a boat load of money. I could purchase some nice Minolas or Jimi Choose.
OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Oct. 24, 2011 at 3:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope!  I can think of much better ways to spend that money on. 

Jambo4
by Bronze Member on Oct. 24, 2011 at 3:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Uh.. no.

No way I would voluntarily give him a DIME of my money.   Even if I could dine with him for free, I wouldn't do it.  Talk about indigestion!

_Bama_
by on Oct. 24, 2011 at 3:52 PM

Uh that would be a hell to the naw.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN