Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Government fines jailed Border Patrol agent’s family

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 5:30 AM
  • 7 Replies

After successfully winning a two-year prison sentence against U.S. Border Patrol Agent Jesus E. Diaz Jr., the Justice Department is now trying to collect a $6,870 fine from his wife, saying it should be paid “immediately” — even though the judge signaled she would have a grace period.

In a notice sent last week the Justice Department said the fines were imposed by the court that found Agent Diaz guilty and sentenced him to prison for improperly restraining a 15-year-old suspected of drug smuggling.

“We strongly urge you to pay this debt immediate,” said the notice, which was received by Diana Diaz, who is also a Border Patrol agent.

But Rep. Duncan Hunter, California Republican, sent a letter to Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. on Tuesday asking that the fine be canceled or at the least be delayed until after his appeal. Mr. Hunter said the judge in the case told Mrs. Diaz that the process for fines wouldn’t begin until a month after he was released from federal prison.

“The case involving Agent Diaz deserves special consideration under the circumstances,” Mr. Hunter said.
The Justice Department didn’t respond immediately to a request for comment Tuesday afternoon.

Mr. Hunter had earlier written a letter asking Mr. Holder why the Justice Department pursued the case against Agent Diaz even after two internal reviews cleared him of wrongdoing.

A third review did say Agent Diaz violated rules when he twisted the suspected smuggler’s arms and placed used his knee to apply pressure to the man’s body. The U.S Attorney’s Office for the Western District of Texas brought charges.

Members of Congress have challenged the Justice Department’s prosecution, saying it could make agents less effective. Mr. Hunter said it “sets a dangerous precedent and creates unnecessary confusion among law enforcement on the border.”

WorldNetDaily reported the fine notice Monday night, saying a charitable organization, the Law Enforcement Officers Advocates Council, has begun trying to raise money for Agent Diaz’s family.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/nov/8/govt-fines-jailed-border-patrol-agents-family/

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 5:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
dustinsmom1
by JENN on Nov. 9, 2011 at 7:07 AM

Oh whaa, they treated a suspected drug dealer poorly, this Border Agent does not belong in prison, this is bullshit.

rocketracer
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:12 AM

When a law enforement agent is taking down a criminal I highly doubt the agent has time to ask the criminal how old the criminal is.     This dumbass drug smuggler shouldn't have been smuggling drugs in the first place.  The drug smuggler got what he deserved.

stormcris
by Christy on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:16 AM

By reading the description it seems he took the person down appropriately. 

At any rate the judges ruling of when the fines are to be paid should hold. The Federal government should not just be able to demand beyond what a court of law stated.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:33 AM

what a crock.....I hope he wins his appeal

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:36 AM

Quote:

A third review did say Agent Diaz violated rules when he twisted the suspected smuggler’s arms and placed used his knee to apply pressure to the man’s body. The U.S Attorney’s Office for the Western District of Texas brought charges.

^^ Shouldn't the questions be sent to them?

SEEKEROFSHELLS
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:52 AM

The border agent used excessive force. Lasted approx 10 minuetes. Folks went to WhataBurger afterwards to " Get their stories straight" then made their reports. That sounds freaking questionable to me. The 15 yr old drug smuggler was a Mexican national. By law he gets a visit from the Mexican consulate. The Mexican consulate visited him the next day. The 15 yr old drug smuggler got full immunity from 3 charges that I know of for testifying AGAINST the border agent. SMFDH the little 15 yr old drug smuggler got a US VISA too. Something is not right with any of this, have to sit on the fence on this one. The US VISA pisses me off to no end though, I will say that.

candlegal
by Judy on Nov. 9, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Anyone remember Ramos and Campeon?  I was furious with President Bush over that one.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)