Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is Obama's rail initiative a 'train to nowhere'?

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:49 AM
  • 14 Replies
1 mom liked this

President Barack Obama's high-speed rail initiative is in danger of turning into the Big Engine That Couldn't.

As part of the economic stimulus plan of 2009, Obama pushed through more than $8 billion in initial funding to extend high-speed intercity rail service to 10 major U.S. rail corridors by 2034. The idea is to create superfast rail service — like Japan's futuristic bullet trains — that would be available to 80 percent of the U.S. population.

A quarter of that money — a little more than $2 billion — went to California, where voters in 2008 approved a plan to build a 220-mph line between Los Angeles and San Francisco. The California High Speed Rail Authority promised voters that the line would open in 2020, at an overall price of about $33 billion.

Since then, not a single segment of track has been laid and not a single station has opened.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45153941/ns/us_news/?google_editors_picks=true#.TrqSTPTSmDA

This was the one thing I supported them doing. I am fairly ticked about this not coming through because it had so much potential.

Fear of serious injury alone cannot justify oppression of free speech and assembly. Men feared witches and burnt women. It is the function of speech to free men from the bondage of irrational fears.
Louis D. Brandeis
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BleedinHeartMom
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:54 AM

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this

2020? They have time. 

In all seriousness, who wants to be on the high speed train when the big earthquake rocks CA? I don't!

LoriKeet
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Seems apropos, since his presidency has also gone nowhere!! LOL :o)

stormcris
by Christy on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:57 AM

Yes! 

Quoting BleedinHeartMom:

Fear of serious injury alone cannot justify oppression of free speech and assembly. Men feared witches and burnt women. It is the function of speech to free men from the bondage of irrational fears.
Louis D. Brandeis
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:58 AM

Quoting LoriKeet:

Seems apropos, since his presidency has also gone nowhere!! LOL :o)

While that's amusing, it's not like he can crack a whip and tell CA to get to work, or else!

rocketracer
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:59 AM

Do all those other countries do environmental impact studies before they go ahead with projects like this?  Do all those other countries have to work out union contracts before they go ahead with projects like this? 

punky3175
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:59 AM

While I don't want to be in CA when the earthquake hits, I'd LOVE more access to trains.  I hate having to fly everywhere.  I rode Amtrak from Northern VA to Philly and thought it was great.  Even if it wasn't the Acela.  Granted there isn't currently as much security on the rail lines, but I think that's what makes it more relaxed and you can see more on the train than you can on a plane.

stormcris
by Christy on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:59 AM

If the track has the appropriate give to it the train will be just fine during most earthquakes.

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

2020? They have time. 

In all seriousness, who wants to be on the high speed train when the big earthquake rocks CA? I don't!

Louis D. Brandeis
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:00 AM

Quoting rocketracer:

Do all those other countries do environmental impact studies before they go ahead with projects like this?  Do all those other countries have to work out union contracts before they go ahead with projects like this? 

I surely don't know. I only have a bout 2 hours a day to catch up on news and I rely heavily on this group for it's diversity in articles.

stormcris
by Christy on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:01 AM

The do the impact studies and they do have unions. They just kept their infrastructure up better than we did.

Quoting rocketracer:

Louis D. Brandeis
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)