Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mid­dle class vot­ers reject­ing extreme anti-worker agenda

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:34 PM
  • 16 Replies

Mid­dle class vot­ers reject­ing extreme anti-worker agenda

Yes­ter­day vot­ers in Michi­gan and Ohio went to the polls and sent a mes­sage to every anti-worker politi­cian in Amer­ica that there is a price to pay for turn­ing your back on the mid­dle class.

Here in Michi­gan, vot­ers removed state Rep. Paul Scott (R-Grand Blanc) from office, fol­low­ing his votes to cut schools, tax pen­sions, and pro­vide a huge $1.8 bil­lion tax give­away to big cor­po­ra­tions. Scott is the first Michi­gan law­maker to be recalled by vot­ers since 1983, one year after he was born.

In Ohio, vot­ers used their cit­i­zens veto to repeal SB 5 and pro­tect their nurses, teach­ers and fire­fight­ers — and every­one they serve — by pro­tect­ing col­lec­tive bar­gain­ing rights.

Make no mis­take — these are huge vic­to­ries for all work­ing families.

Fol­low­ing the recent recall of two Wis­con­sin state sen­a­tors, yesterday’s votes in Michi­gan and Ohio send a strong mes­sage that mid­dle class vot­ers are reject­ing the anti-worker agen­das of politi­cians like Paul Scott, John Kasich and Gov. Scott Walker.

While these elec­tions should serve as a wake-up call to Lans­ing politi­cians and their spe­cial inter­est friends, we know the attacks on mid­dle class fam­i­lies will continue.

Here in Michi­gan, Students First, Michelle Rhee's anti-teacher lob­by­ing group spent over $70,000 to sup­port Scott and oppose the recall elec­tion. Dur­ing the final days of the Ohio cam­paign, cor­po­rate spe­cial inter­ests spent over $2.2 mil­lion on TV ads to defend SB 5.

While they lost this round, cor­po­rate front groups like Amer­i­cans for Pros­per­ity — founded by the bil­lion­aire Koch Broth­ers — have deep pock­ets, and can spend what­ever it takes to curry favor with politi­cians and push anti-worker laws here in Michigan.

In fact, we already know extreme politi­cians like Rep. Mike Shirkey (R-Clarklake) and Sen. Pat Col­beck (R-Canton) are plan­ning to intro­duce so-called “Right to Work” leg­is­la­tion soon, which would weaken the mid­dle class and won’t do any­thing to cre­ate jobs.

We Are the Peo­ple is com­mit­ted to hold­ing our law­mak­ers account­able and fight­ing back against these attacks on Michigan’s mid­dle class fam­i­lies — but we can’t do it alone.

To help stand up for work­ing fam­i­lies in your com­mu­nity, you can join us on Face­book, fol­low us on Twit­ter, and text MI to 225568 to receive break­ing news and information.

Mid­dle class vot­ers in Michi­gan and Ohio sent an impor­tant mes­sage yes­ter­day. Now it’s up to us to make sure Lans­ing politi­cians start lis­ten­ing to Michigan’s 99%.

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rocketracer
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:49 PM

those same middle class voters will reject all the coming tax levies needed to fund those public workers, which in turn will lead to layoffs.   Unions paid over 30 million dollars to defeat the issue in Ohio.   I hope the Unions have money to support the laid off workers in the future. 

nanaofsix531
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Link to the 30 million dollar's?

Quoting rocketracer:

those same middle class voters will reject all the coming tax levies needed to fund those public workers, which in turn will lead to layoffs.   Unions paid over 30 million dollars to defeat the issue in Ohio.   I hope the Unions have money to support the laid off workers in the future. 

rocketracer
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Quoting nanaofsix531:

Quoting rocketracer:

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/oct/28/news/la-pn-ohio-unions-money-20111028

We are Ohio, a union coalition that has been leading the repeal effort, by ballot initiative, of the law that passed the Ohio Legislature in March,  has raised more than $30 million in contributions and other assistance, drawing largely on national union organizations.

nanaofsix531
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:37 PM

It said they raised that amount not spent that amount!

Quoting rocketracer:

Quoting nanaofsix531:

Quoting rocketracer:

We are Ohio, a union coalition that has been leading the repeal effort, by ballot initiative, of the law that passed the Ohio Legislature in March,  has raised more than $30 million in contributions and other assistance, drawing largely on national union organizations.

rocketracer
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Quoting nanaofsix531:

Quoting rocketracer:

Quoting nanaofsix531:

Quoting rocketracer:

TV ads aren't cheap. Here in OH, ads were constantly aired on multiple channels several times an hour.  We were also inundated with mailers and radio ads.  Millions were spent.  

nanaofsix531
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:48 PM

And I am sure the unions didn't pay for the conservative ad's and robo calls and mailers but you forgot to mention that.

Quoting rocketracer:

Quoting nanaofsix531:

Quoting rocketracer:

Quoting nanaofsix531:

Quoting rocketracer:

TV ads aren't cheap. Here in OH, ads were constantly aired on multiple channels several times an hour.  We were also inundated with mailers and radio ads.  Millions were spent.  

rocketracer
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Quoting nanaofsix531:

And I am sure the unions didn't pay for the conservative ad's and robo calls and mailers but you forgot to mention that.

Quoting rocketracer:

Quoting nanaofsix531:

Quoting rocketracer:

Quoting nanaofsix531:

Quoting rocketracer:

Of course, conservatives paid for ads, but not to the extent that the unions did.  The fact is that the state can't afford to bail out cities to save public workers' jobs.  When cities need money to prevent the lay off  public workers those cities are going to put tax levies on the ballot.  many of those tax levies will fail. So all tthat money was spent on something that can't prevent the inevitable.  

nanaofsix531
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Well I guess they will have to deal with it then.They just want the right to collective bargain not to take their own state down in the process.Seems to me you are just looking for trouble.

Quoting rocketracer:

Quoting nanaofsix531:

Quoting rocketracer:

Quoting nanaofsix531:

Quoting rocketracer:

Quoting nanaofsix531:

Quoting rocketracer:

Of course, conservatives paid for ads, but not to the extent that the unions did.  The fact is that the state can't afford to bail out cities to save public workers' jobs.  When cities need money to prevent the lay off  public workers those cities are going to put tax levies on the ballot.  many of those tax levies will fail. So all tthat money was spent on something that can't prevent the inevitable.  

rocketracer
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:06 PM

Quoting nanaofsix531:

Well I guess they will have to deal with it then.They just want the right to collective bargain not to take their own state down in the process.Seems to me you are just looking for trouble.

Not looking for trouble. Just seeing the inevitable.

Tanya93
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:07 PM

Trouble comes when public workers think they are above cuts and reductions because they work for the government

Quoting nanaofsix531:

Quoting rocketracer:

Quoting nanaofsix531:

Quoting rocketracer:

Quoting nanaofsix531:

Quoting rocketracer:

Quoting nanaofsix531:

Quoting rocketracer:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)