Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you want to live here? (if it were to actually be built)

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:16 PM
  • 21 Replies

Building Down Instead of Up?

By Bill Weir & C. Michael Kim | This Could Be Big - Tue, Nov 8, 2011

My step-mom refuses to sleep in any building higher than the reach of a firetruck ladder, which is why we live on the 56th floor (Just kidding, Judy). But after seeing the sketches of Mexican architect, Esteban Suarez, I wonder how she would do in an "earth scraper?"

Suarez has imagined a massive building for those who prefer holes to heights and a novel solution around a law that bans structures higher than eight stories in the crowded, historic center of Mexico City.

Instead of a soaring tower, Suarez wants to dig an inverted pyramid nearly a thousand feet deep with enough apartments, stores and offices to hold 100,000 people.

On a planet of 7 billion, is this a space-saving idea whose time has come? Or an engineering folly impossible to construct? Take a gander and share your thoughts via @BillWeirABC on Twitter.

I don't personally know if I'd be comfortable living 1,000 feet underground....

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Radarma
by Ruby Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:27 PM

NEVER.

heidimoose134
by Momma Moose on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:32 PM
2 moms liked this

I wouldn't be comfortable doing that.

I'd also like to add that you're in just as much trouble if there were to be a fire if you're living 1,000 feet underground as you would be in if you were on the 56th floor. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
punky3175
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:36 PM

I think I'd personally miss nature more than anything.  I can't imagine being surrounded by rock everywhere you turn.  That would make me seriously claustrophobic (I think that's how it's spelled. :D)

Quoting heidimoose134:

I'd also like to add that you're in just as much trouble if there were to be a fire if you're living 1,000 feet underground as you would be in if you were on the 56th floor. 

heidimoose134
by Momma Moose on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:39 PM

Yeah, I've lived in a basement and that's bad enough. I get seriously depressed when I don't get enough sunlight. I couldn't imagine not having windows or only seeing rocks outside my window. Screw that.

Quoting punky3175:

I think I'd personally miss nature more than anything.  I can't imagine being surrounded by rock everywhere you turn.  That would make me seriously claustrophobic (I think that's how it's spelled. :D)

Quoting heidimoose134:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
stormcris
by Christy on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:41 PM

I would do it. Perhaps not in an apartment type structure but living underground ...sure.There is a lot of benefit to it.

LucyBbie.
by Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:41 PM
Ohhhhh hell no lol Scary.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
punky3175
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:43 PM

What appeals to you about it?

Quoting stormcris:

I would do it. Perhaps not in an apartment type structure but living underground ...sure.There is a lot of benefit to it.

PEEK05
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:44 PM

I know I wouldn't be the guinea pig in such an idea.

lga1965
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:44 PM

Nope. Ground level or maybe one or two stories high. I couldn't handle a high rise or an under the ground dwelling. No way.

stormcris
by Christy on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:45 PM

It's climate controlled, hurricane and tornado proof, and I have photophobia. 

Quoting punky3175:

What appeals to you about it?

Quoting stormcris:

Fear of serious injury alone cannot justify oppression of free speech and assembly. Men feared witches and burnt women. It is the function of speech to free men from the bondage of irrational fears.
Louis D. Brandeis
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)