Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Americans Across The Country Reject The Republican Agenda

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:47 PM
  • 40 Replies
3 moms liked this

Americans Across The Country Reject The Republican Agenda

November 9, 2011
By 

Yesterday, Americans in several states around the nation resoundingly defeated many pieces of the Republican agenda and successfully recalled GOP politicians. From Ohio to Arizona to Maine to Mississippi, voters lashed back and dealt the right wing a severe setback.

In Ohio, voters crushed and overturned the anti-labor union law passed by the Republican controlled legislature and signed by Governor Kasich. The law would have stripped public workers, including teachers, police officers, and firefighters of their collective bargaining rights. But not anymore. Ohio residents and Democrats stood tall and wiped the law off the books.

In Mississippi, residents overwhelmingly rejected the personhood amendment that would have banned abortion, defined life as beginning at conception, and would have banned birth control. Thanks to the voters, however, women maintain the freedom to decide what they do with their own body. The Christian Right suffered a huge setback and if a personhood amendment can’t pass in a red state like Mississippi, it’s unlikely to pass anywhere in America.

New Jersey Governor Chris Christie lost a lot of clout yesterday. His hopes of tightening his bullying grip on the state government went up in smoke after voters elected several Democrats to the state legislature, proving that Americans clearly hate bullies.

Democrats retained control of the Iowa senate, blocking GOP efforts to repeal gay marriage in the state.

In Maine, voters rallied around voting rights and restored same day voter registration, overturning a Republican effort to destroy it. This just proves that Americans love their voting rights more than the GOP.

In Missoula, Montana, the residents rejected corporate personhood, continuing a trend against corporate power that has been growing around the nation.

Perhaps the most surprising vote occurred in Arizona, where Tea Party state senator and author of the anti-immigration law–SB 1070, Russell Pierce, was recalled. Yet another rejection of extremism.

Elsewhere, Democrats won several elections in Kentucky including a second term for the incumbent Democratic Governor. And Michigan voters successfully recalled GOP Rep. Paul Scott.

Clearly, yesterday’s events represent a warning shot from the American people aimed at the Republican Party. Many key pieces of the Republican agenda were rejected by voters. If 2011 is any indication, Republicans should dread Election Day 2012, especially if they continue to assault rights and privacy, and continue to sabotage the economy. Republicans should be very afraid

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
denise3680
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:57 PM
2 moms liked this

I think the extreme views and uncompromising way the republican and teaparty members have presented  themseles during the last 3 years is going to bite them in the booty come 2012.  I am glad and I only hope this is just the beginning of more "we are not going to take this crap anymore" from the American people.

YEAH!!!!!!

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 3:00 PM

I think people are having buyers remorse so to speak from the last election. Good!

Check out the groups above

nanaofsix531
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 3:03 PM

The 99%ers are out in full force and I back them 110%.LOL People thought they would just get tired and go away but they are wrong.More and more people are joining the cause.

Quoting denise3680:

I think the extreme views and uncompromising way the republican and teaparty members have presented  themseles during the last 3 years is going to bite them in the booty come 2012.  I am glad and I only hope this is just the beginning of more "we are not going to take this crap anymore" from the American people.

YEAH!!!!!!

punky3175
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 3:08 PM

Reading this makes me very happy.  I like the fact that certain parties are no longer guaranteed free reign in states they've historically "owned."  I would love to see more people voting independently rather than along party lines and it looks like that may very well be happening.  People (the 99%) are getting seriously fed up with "Politics as usual" and are making sure they are heard in the way that REALLY counts.  Campaign season 2012 is going to be very interesting.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Nov. 9, 2011 at 3:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Actually it's the 99.9%. The 0.9% have far more in common with their brethren at the bottom than with that elite 0.1%-

The GOP and their greedy policies only serve the $elcet (0.1%) few-

Glad people are getting it-

ashellbell
by shellbark on Nov. 9, 2011 at 3:18 PM
They rejected the personhood law? Oh, thank bob.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Carpy
by Emerald Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 3:23 PM

So they trade bad for worse.

Ohio will pay for their votes on the union bill.  

Democrats already had control of the legislature in NJ, no suprise there especially when the state was gerrymandered in April.

nanaofsix531
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 3:23 PM

Yes they did.I stayed up half the night waiting for all these votes to come in.Then was up the rest of the night because I was so excited.

Quoting ashellbell:

ashellbell
by shellbark on Nov. 9, 2011 at 3:27 PM
That's super awesome. I was really worried since the religious population is so high there.

Quoting nanaofsix531:

Yes they did.I stayed up half the night waiting for all these votes to come in.Then was up the rest of the night because I was so excited.

Quoting ashellbell:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nanaofsix531
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 3:27 PM
2 moms liked this

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)