Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

BOYCOTT BUTTERBALL TURKEY

Posted by on Nov. 22, 2011 at 5:46 PM
  • 52 Replies

Oh the Irony! Pamela Geller and the Stealth Halal Turkeys

Posted by Ruth Nasrullah• November 22nd, 2011 • Pamela Geller, anti-Muslim blogger extraordinaire, sounded the alarm today over the latest "Islamization of America" outrage. She discovered that Butterball whole turkeys are certified halal, and in this she sees the latest example of "stealth" infiltration of Islam into all things American (read: non-Muslim). This Thanksgiving, she frets, the jihad starts with what's on your table.

She called on good Americans (read: non-Muslims) everywhere to take a stand against the halal turkeys (which may, after all, be stuffed with sharia instead of gizzards.)

Boycott Butterball, she wrote, because:

Turkeys that are halal certified - who wants that, especially on a day on which we are giving thanks to G-d for our freedom?

Oh the ironies that riddle her blog post!

Irony #1: Although Geller uses "G-d," the traditional Jewish way of spelling the name of the Almighty, she seems unaware of how similar kosher, the traditional Jewish way of preparing food, is to halal. She protests what she calls the cruelty of halal slaughter:

Halal slaughter involves cutting the trachea, the esophagus, and the jugular vein, and letting the blood drain out...

From a description of kosher slaughter:

The procedure consists of a rapid and expert transverse incision with an instrument of surgical sharpness (a chalaf), which severs the major structures and vessels at the neck. See here for more details.

Irony #2: She calls Thanksgiving a great holiday celebrating our freedom and asserts that the way turkeys are slaughtered matters:

Halal turkey, slaughtered according to the rules of Islamic law, is just the opposite of what Thanksgiving represents: freedom and inclusiveness, neither of which are allowed for under that same Islamic law.

So Geller is using the Thanksgiving turkey as a symbol of what she perceives as a free and inclusive America. There are generations of native Americans stretching back to the first Thanksgiving who might have a different perspective. The turkey they shared with the pilgrims was, unlike the halal Butterball, symbolic of values that actually did destroy a civilization.

Irony #3: The halal certification that prompted her rant may not actually reflect Islamically correct slaughter. I confirmed with a Butterball consumer affairs representative (as did one of Geller's readers) that their "whole turkeys are halal." I pursued the issue by asking if that meant their turkeys are slaughtered individually following Islamic guidelines, beginning with saying Bismillah over them.

I have not been able to get a response to this question, despite trying throughout this afternoon and evening through Butterball's consumer affairs department and media relations representatives.

I would love to be told that mass-produced poultry are slaughtered humanely, but I find it impossible to believe. Meat production is about making money, and doing individual slaughtering with care and attention, as Islamic law requires, is not the way to minimize costs.

Perhaps there is confusion between halal and dhabiha (zabihah). It's strange that they emphasize that whole turkeys are halal. What happens when they chop the turkey up that makes it haram? Do they spray it with bacon grease? Unless they tell us, we can't know.

© MuslimMatters.org by Ruth Nasrullah on November 22nd, 2011. All rights reserved. Please see legal & other disclaimers here.  

http://muslimmatters.org/2011/11/22/oh-the-irony-pamela-geller-and-the-stealth-halal-turkeys/

by on Nov. 22, 2011 at 5:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lovinmyboys...
by Member on Nov. 22, 2011 at 5:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Good grief!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Nov. 22, 2011 at 5:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Sigh.

stringtheory
by Gold Member on Nov. 22, 2011 at 5:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Fine. I was going to buy a halal ham anyway.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rfurlongg
by on Nov. 22, 2011 at 5:52 PM
Wow.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
remark
by on Nov. 22, 2011 at 5:54 PM

I hit submit before I was finished posting. Reads the article. SIGH

Quoting muslimahpj:

Sigh.

AMCMSM
by on Nov. 22, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Uh what is halal ham? Is it like turkey cured like ham?

Quoting stringtheory:

remark
by on Nov. 22, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Read the article good grief!

Quoting lovinmyboys...:

Good grief!

jllcali
by Jane on Nov. 22, 2011 at 5:57 PM
1 mom liked this
I'll make sure my next turkey is butterball
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
remark
by on Nov. 22, 2011 at 5:58 PM

YEP it's located near the Kosher hot dogs

Quoting stringtheory:

stringtheory
by Gold Member on Nov. 22, 2011 at 5:58 PM
Heh. No, just a joke.

Quoting AMCMSM:

Uh what is halal ham? Is it like turkey cured like ham?

Quoting stringtheory:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)