Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Barbie mentality (PIOG) .. wanna be Barbie?

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 1:31 AM
  • 10 Replies

by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 1:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TC00
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 1:40 AM
2 moms liked this
When we as a society quit fixating on looks then some of this would be prevented.

Go to a national site and read the comments whenever there is a story about overweight people. Read what fellow Americans think of fat people.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tarot
by Tea on Nov. 26, 2011 at 1:42 AM

Pfft, I've already got an hourglass figure. I don't need to starve myself to fit the idealized version of a woman. 

Especially if she's made of plastic.

DuchessTara
by Bronze Member on Nov. 26, 2011 at 1:43 AM

Quoting TC00:

When we as a society quit fixating on looks then some of this would be prevented.

Go to a national site and read the comments whenever there is a story about overweight people. Read what fellow Americans think of fat people.

I know, right?!

wickedfiress
by Kellie on Nov. 26, 2011 at 1:43 AM

I've never met a woman who wanted to look like Barbie. 

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Nov. 26, 2011 at 8:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Sad.  But anorexia is a mental disorder.  Barbie cannot be "blamed" for someone's mental state.  Millions of girls grow up with Barbie, my own girls did, and they are a normal weight. 

Good video, but Barbie is not the reason girls choose to starve. 

DuchessTara
by Bronze Member on Nov. 26, 2011 at 1:38 PM

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Sad.  But anorexia is a mental disorder.  Barbie cannot be "blamed" for someone's mental state.  Millions of girls grow up with Barbie, my own girls did, and they are a normal weight. 

Good video, but Barbie is not the reason girls choose to starve. 

I didn't see them as blaming Barbie, but more that people have that mentality of wanting to be like here... I didn't see them discrediting the doll as a toy, but rather a mentality thing.. (not sure how to word it exactly, but I didn't see it the same as you.)

heidimoose134
by Momma Moose on Nov. 26, 2011 at 2:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I have love handles and I'm okay with them. 

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Nov. 26, 2011 at 2:40 PM
1 mom liked this

When we stop focusing on looks, then maybe some of this will start to go away. There is way to much pressure on women in our society to look a certain way. Sad, really. Look at the models out there now. How many of them look like women and how many like like 12 yr old boys?

heidimoose134
by Momma Moose on Nov. 26, 2011 at 2:49 PM

While I agree that a lot of these eating disorders stems from wanting to be attractive (and I do agree that eating disorders are a mental illness as well), there are also many people who are disillusioned into believing that thin = healthy when that is not entirely true.

stormcris
by Christy on Nov. 26, 2011 at 4:36 PM

My cousin was anorexic and it was not trying to be barbie or trying to be attractive, it was about something she could control and about perfection. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)