Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should stores be held responsible for Black Friday problems?

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 3:10 PM
  • 61 Replies

Poll

Question: Who should be held responsible?

Options:

The stores

The shoppers

They are equally responsible

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 81

View Results

After reading about the violence associated with black Friday it got me thinking about personal responsibility as well as the stores responsibility in keeping the peace

Should stores be held responsible for the deaths or injuries of shoppers who were trampled during the chaos? Should they be required to provide additional security measures to prevent the tragedies we see year after year after year?  Or should the blame be placed squarely on the shoppers who are in the middle of the chaos?

Should black Friday be outlawed?

by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 3:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-Eilish-
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 3:12 PM
2 moms liked this

Individuals are responsible for their own actions.

TC00
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 3:14 PM

Quoting -Eilish-:

And I agree but if your actions cause someone else to be injured aren't you responsible as well?

TC00
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Another observation of mine, and correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that the problems stem from one particular store.  Is it because of the stores actions?  What are the other stores doing differently that prevents problems at their stores?

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 3:20 PM
2 moms liked this

There are a lot of things that can provoke bad behavior, should they also be outlawed and/or banned? Alcohol comes to mind.

TCgirlatheart
by TC on Nov. 26, 2011 at 3:21 PM
I have noticed the same thing this year and over the years. You raise a good question.

Quoting TC00:

Another observation of mine, and correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that the problems stem from one particular store.  Is it because of the stores actions?  What are the other stores doing differently that prevents problems at their stores?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-Eilish-
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 3:22 PM

Quoting TC00:

Quoting -Eilish-:

And I agree but if your actions cause someone else to be injured aren't you responsible as well?

I guess it really depends - if my actions directly injur another then yes, but if my actions indirectly effect another's injuries and could have easily been avoided through their own common sense, then no. I cannot forsee all possible outcomes, nor can I be held responsible for someone else's bad choices.

TC00
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 3:23 PM

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

There are a lot of things that can provoke bad behavior, should they also be outlawed and/or banned? Alcohol comes to mind.

Good point, but with alcohol we have rules and regulations governing it to protect people.  Should we do the same with black Friday? 

-Eilish-
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 3:23 PM

Quoting TC00:

Are you talking about WalMart? I don't know that WalMart can really do anything differently. I despise WalMart and regularly boycott them, but I'm not sure that WalMart is directly responsible for the idiots who shop their.

sherry132
by Silver Member on Nov. 26, 2011 at 3:23 PM

The crazy deals should be stopped. I think it's the people's responsibility to not act like idiots, however, most of the chaos and problems could be prevented if the stores would just not sell stuff at such a low price people will kill to have it.

RissyLee
by Rissy on Nov. 26, 2011 at 3:25 PM
1 mom liked this

The Toys R Us where I live only allowed 15 people in the store at a time.  Once those shoppers were clearing out, they would allow the next group in.  I'm sure people were standing outside for hours, but I don't think anyone got trampled.  I think a system like that helps maintain a little calmness.

I think everyone is equally responsible.  It's the store's responsibility to maintain a safe shopping environment, just as it's each person's responsibility to make sure they're making safe decisions to avoid hurting themselves and others.

I did all my black Friday shopping online.  Sooooo much easier, especially since that kind of environment is definitely not good for a 15 month old.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)