Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is coffee really bad for kids?

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 6:20 PM
  • 38 Replies

I grew up thinking that drinking coffee as a child was as bad as drinking a beer... it's always had such a stigma. I don't understand why it's so bad except for the caffeine, right? I understand more that coffee actually has health benefits, and I let my kids drink it, especially my 10 yr old. He has ADHD/ODD and it doesn't stimulate him, it actually has the opposite effect. It calms him. My others may have a cup & it doesn't seem to make them bounce off the walls. I definately don't think it's comparable to having soda (which they don't get except on rare special occasions.)

So, what do you think about kids having coffee?

by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 6:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Nov. 26, 2011 at 6:25 PM
4 moms liked this
Depends if there's real Bailey's Irish Cream in their cups.

J/k
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovinmyboys...
by Member on Nov. 26, 2011 at 6:26 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't think it is. I let my ds have some every now and again..decaf more often than not. It doesn't hurt him. My stepmom and dad let me drink it growing up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DuchessTara
by Bronze Member on Nov. 26, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Quoting Donna6503:

Depends if there's real Bailey's Irish Cream in their cups.

J/k

tehehehhehe

Pooobaihr
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 6:28 PM
3 moms liked this

:D I think its fine.

Im just too stingy to share with my son.

PEEK05
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 6:29 PM

I think it's gross.

DuchessTara
by Bronze Member on Nov. 26, 2011 at 6:30 PM

Quoting Pooobaihr:

:D I think its fine.

Im just too stingy to share with my son.

LOL.. we make a pot & it's the one thing of mine I don't mind sharing, because there is no way I can drink it all.. lol.. It gets wasted if they don't drink it. I can have 1, maybe 2 cups a day and that's all I can handle lol.

DuchessTara
by Bronze Member on Nov. 26, 2011 at 6:31 PM

Quoting PEEK05:

I think it's gross.

Ya some people do. I have always loved it.. I started drinking it when I was about 14..

stormcris
by Christy on Nov. 26, 2011 at 6:34 PM
5 moms liked this

I was raised to drink coffee. It is very helpful to ADHD and asthma as well, not to mention that for certain nervous disorders it has great benefits (a family member was in motorcycle wreck some years ago and it was recommended he drink coffee to fix the resulting nervous condition for which it worked well.)

sweetmom1007
by Member on Nov. 26, 2011 at 7:15 PM

I'm with you.  My son has ADHD and it calms him down but he doesn't drink it much.  Maybe he should. I have it every day.  Sometimes I get energy and sometimes I don't.

mrstheriault
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 7:25 PM

i don't see a problem with it. i starte trying it when i was about 11. didn't like it unless it was loaded with creamer. it's an aquired taste. the only thing i would think you might be worried about would be caffeine content, so serve decaf. i won't have a problem if my kids want to try coffee. and like others said, it actually has health benefits. and it's better than diet soda as well

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)