Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Guilt tripped into saying Merry Christmas

Posted by on Nov. 29, 2011 at 3:28 PM
  • 53 Replies
4 moms liked this

We can't say Happy Holidays anymore now we are being guilt tripped into saying "Merry Christmas". We can't call it a Holiday Tree, people want to call it a "Christmas" Tree again? All simply because it was stolen from the Pagans to begin with, and now it's offending the christians. If you don't like our "Customs" and it offends you so much then YOU SHOULD HAVE NEVER STOLE IT TO BEGIN WITH. They are called customs and we have our traditions. ... BLESSED YULE! HAPPY HOLIDAYS! -)O(-

Actually, I call it a 'Yule Tree" or 'Solstice Tree" but the sentiment remains the same!

Like Christianity is the only religion in this country that has a holiday around the winter solstice? Besides Yule and Winter Solstice and New Year's Day and Christmas, there's the Greek Pagan Heliogena, and the Jewish Hanukkah, and I think the Hindu holiday of Diwali is in November just before Thanksgiving, and depending on the calendar the Muslims might have Idd al-Fitr or the Feast of Sacrifice around the end of the year also, and you have Kwanzaa, and Festivus, and I'm sure this list is incomplete. I think Happy Holidays is appropriate.

by on Nov. 29, 2011 at 3:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rocketracer
by Silver Member on Nov. 29, 2011 at 3:32 PM
6 moms liked this

I think I'll start calling a menorah the holiday candle holder. 

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Nov. 29, 2011 at 3:45 PM

I agree and happy hollydays!!!! lol

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Nov. 29, 2011 at 3:55 PM

Quoting rocketracer:

I think I'll start calling a menorah the holiday candle holder. 

Spirituality makes people sane and religion makes people insane...

punky3175
by Punky on Nov. 29, 2011 at 4:06 PM
This is the first year I've been acknowledged pagan so it will be interesting to see how I react if some one is rude about "Merry Christmas". I usually just reply "same to you" and that had better be good enough! :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
denise3680
by Gold Member on Nov. 29, 2011 at 4:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I fail to see how someone can force someone else to say something they do not want to say.  If you do not want to say Merry Christmas, then don't.  If you want to say happy holidays then do, really who cares.  This whole thing is irritating and childish.  You are grown, say what you want to say. 

miss_lisa
by on Nov. 29, 2011 at 4:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I love that you included Festivus.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Nov. 29, 2011 at 4:20 PM
4 moms liked this
I say everyone can call it what they want. Easy Peasy.

If I wanna call it a Christmas tree then that's what I'll call it. If I wanna call it the Evil Evergreen that's what I'll call it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Nov. 29, 2011 at 4:22 PM

rolling on floor

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Nov. 29, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Yeah, I saw the Christian version of that about 300 times on my facebook feed. I should c/p this version over there. Except... I'm not sure I've got the kind of time it would require to de-huff all the Christians on my friends list.

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Nov. 29, 2011 at 4:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Happy Holidays... Merry Christmas... whatever!  I'm so tired of seeing people offended by something so silly!  Call it what you want.  If someone says Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays and it upsets you (general you), just keep in mind that person more than likely was trying to be kind, and perhaps you should respond in kind. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)