Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wedding registries

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:06 AM
  • 41 Replies

Poll

Question: do you buy from the registry?

Options:

Yes

Sometimes

No

Other- please explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 23

View Results

When you know someone is getting married and you see their registry, do you buy them exactly what they want or do you buy something cheaper within your price range?

I ask because we have a wedding to go to on the 10th & IMO, they are asking for very expensive items (a salt and pepper shaker set....$119!!!).

what would you do or what do you do? My husband and I haven't been to an american wedding in over 8 years. 

Nambe Hug Salt and Pepper Shakers

Designed by Karim Rashid, the unique and fun design of these salt and pepper shakers are sure to be a conversation piece on your table. The intricate cut of the two pieces nestle together to form a hug-like shape that is part function, part art. Each shaker measures 6" H. Hand wash. 

quantity requested: 1
quantity purchased: 0

Beta : Pick Up in a Store Available in CA, CT and  PA ADD TO CART
Description
Available color
Price
Qty
$119.99 ea.

by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
iluv2meow
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:10 AM

Yes I do because I havent a clue what people want. I wish we had Christmas registries too.

romalove
by Roma on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:12 AM

I always give money when people are getting married.  The amount depends on if it's just me and my husband or if the kids are invited, and the closeness of the people getting married.  Given what I give cash-wise, the salt and pepper shakers are a bargain LOL.

AmmuJSE
by Ammu on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:14 AM

it's just my husband and I going....it's for a coworker of his.

Quoting romalove:

I always give money when people are getting married.  The amount depends on if it's just me and my husband or if the kids are invited, and the closeness of the people getting married.  Given what I give cash-wise, the salt and pepper shakers are a bargain LOL.

OneToughMami
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Are they fucking out of their mind? This is what I do to determine whether I buy something. If I know that they themselves can afford to purchase it on their own and are not just asking for expensive crap in hopes someone else buys it...I go for cheaper items I can afford. If I know that they just made the registry in hopes other people buy expensive crap that they want...I get them a Wal-Mart gift card in a cute card...suck it easy

romalove
by Roma on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:16 AM

Quoting AmmuJSE:

it's just my husband and I going....it's for a coworker of his.

Quoting romalove:

I wouldn't go cheaper than that gift, honestly. 

iluv2meow
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:17 AM
1 mom liked this

oh btw regards to the salt pepper and expensive stuff, I agree with tough,... There is a huge difference between fancy spoiled princess wedding verses we are getting married and really need stuff.

Get a wal mart card.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:18 AM
Who the hell pays for a $119 salt and pepper shaker?!?!

I've never seen Bullcrap on a registry like that. Now nice dishes or glass wear I can understand...

Anyways... I usually shop off the registry if I don't know the person very well. If its a close friend I usually buy something off the registry and buy a personal gift as well... But I've never paid more than $100 for a wedding gift.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AmmuJSE
by Ammu on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:20 AM

That's exactly what it is. They don't have any kids (only a dog together that they got about 8 months ago....I know cause I picked it up for him). They are going to Italy for their honeymoon (for a week), wedding gift from her mom. They both have jobs.....he bought a car in the summer with cash ($23,000 plus all the taxes). After they get married they will house hunt. So right now they are both paying rent for their apartment.

I know he doesn't have any student loans but I know she does but it's under $10,000. 

LOL, I feel so out of date with this.

Quoting OneToughMami:

Are they fucking out of their mind? This is what I do to determine whether I buy something. If I know that they themselves can afford to purchase it on their own and are not just asking for expensive crap in hopes someone else buys it...I go for cheaper items I can afford. If I know that they just made the registry in hopes other people buy expensive crap that they want...I get them a Wal-Mart gift card in a cute card...suck it easy

jllcali
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:20 AM
I've never attended a wedding where the couple had a registry. If I did, and there was nothing on the registry I could afford, I would get them a gift card to either the store they have the registry at or a store I know they go to. I would include a note in the card explaining why. (Not in a whiny way)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jnttd
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:22 AM
I always try my hardest to buy something off of the registry. If for some reason I can't, I buy something that I know can compliment a registry item or I just pick something nice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)