Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Police 'killed deaf cyclist with stun gun after he failed to obey instructions to stop'

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:50 AM
  • 61 Replies

Police 'killed deaf cyclist with stun gun after he failed to obey instructions to stop'

Victim: Roger Anthony, 61, died after an officer blasted him with a stun gun as he was riding a bicycle.

Victim: Roger Anthony, 61, died after an officer blasted him with a stun gun as he rode home on his bicycle

A police officer killed an elderly, deaf and mentally disabled man riding his bicycle by shooting him with a Taser stun gun after he failed to obey instructions to stop.

Roger Anthony, 61, was killed as he made his way home in Scotland Neck, South Carolina, after officers responded to a 911 call about a man who had fallen off his bicycle in a car park.

The caller told dispatchers that the man appeared drunk and that it looked like he had hurt himself.

Officers said they repeatedly told Mr Anthony to get off his bike, but when he didn't respond, they shocked him. 

The state Office of the Medical Examiner hasn't yet determined a cause of death.

Family members claim Mr Anthony had hearing problems and suffered from seizures. Now they're considering whether to file a lawsuit against the town. 

His brother Michael said: 'What did they tase him for? It's hurting me. It's really hurting me.'

Scotland Neck Mayor James Mills said he wouldn't blame the family for suing. 

'There has been no information that this man was a threat to anybody,' he said.

Scene: Mr Anthony was shot with the Tazer gun as he cycled home in the town of Scotland Neck, South Carolina

Scene: Mr Anthony was shot with the Tazer gun as he cycled home in the town of Scotland Neck, South Carolina

'If I was a family member, I'm sure I'd be thinking the same way.'

Mills said he has tried to get information from the police department about what happened to Mr Anthony, but they have turned him away. 

Police Chief Joe Williams says the officer is on administrative leave while the SBI conducts its investigation. 

He declined to comment further. Anthony's family said they hope the case is resolved soon.

Tragic: A61-year-old deaf cyclist died after Police blasted him with a Taser gun for failing to obey instructions to stop

Excessive force: Family members claim Mr Anthony had hearing problems and suffered from seizures

Mr Anthony's niece, Porsha Anthony said: 'I'm sad. I lost an uncle.

'Hopefully it will be rectified so that not another family in Scotland Neck has to go through this'.

The State Bureau of Investigation in South Carolina said they are looking into Mr Anthony's death.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2065629/Police-killed-deaf-cyclist-stun-gun-failed-obey-instructions-stop.html#ixzz1fRpfWuda
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
iluv2meow
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:06 AM
3 moms liked this

oh damn. I still prefer stun guns over real guns though, maybe they need to turn down the electro vibes man, sounds like its up pretty damn high.

I do think that we are living in a world of IGNORANT people speaking as a deaf person that people assume everyone has their hearing and it pisses me off how people so eager to learn spanish but fail to attempt to learn sign language knowing that it could help a citizen even if we are a MINOR in the community.

But hey fuck the handicapped, feed the poor.

jllcali
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:57 AM
I had a classmate in high school who tried to get out of a speeding ticket by finger spelling. The cop who pulled him over knew ASL. I laughed my ass off when the guy whined at school about not getting out of the ticket.

Quoting iluv2meow:

oh damn. I still prefer stun guns over real guns though, maybe they need to turn down the electro vibes man, sounds like its up pretty damn high.

I do think that we are living in a world of IGNORANT people speaking as a deaf person that people assume everyone has their hearing and it pisses me off how people so eager to learn spanish but fail to attempt to learn sign language knowing that it could help a citizen even if we are a MINOR in the community.

But hey fuck the handicapped, feed the poor.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Dec. 3, 2011 at 2:02 AM

More uncalled for police brutality. smh.

LucyBbie.
by Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 2:04 AM
Wow Sad, They aint gana do nothng to the Cop thats forsure. Hope they Sue there asses!!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AphroditesCurse
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 2:06 AM
This is one case the masses here can't say "when the police tell you to move you move" that mentalitity contributed to a mans death smh
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
westendcurls
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 2:16 AM
That's sad
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
suark
by Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 2:48 AM

This is a completely made up story. I have done research and can not find a legitimate news source for this. And Scotland Neck is in North Carolina not in South Carolina. I have searched forums for that town and nowhere is there any mention of this.

People research before posting inflammatory things like this.

JonJon
by Ruby Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 5:33 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm impressed you checked; I also checked and I guess CBS has since picked up on the story.  Guess they like to check England's version of the National Enquirer, too.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57330721/n.c-probes-death-of-bicyclist-tased-by-police/

Don't they teach those cops who carry tasers which people they should never tase?  The elderly and the pregnant come to mind but I've seen a story of a pregnant woman tased.  She, too, was black. Maybe they do have rules for which people not to tase but maybe the cops believe blacks are the exceptions.

Cops used to have to have people skills but now all they have are guns and tasers.

dustinsmom1
by JENN on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:26 AM
1 mom liked this

That's really sad. The cop probably feels like shit about it, how the hell was he supposed to know the guy was deaf?? I hate when families bring lawsuits over something like this..the cop was trying to do his job, using non-lethal force, its unfortunate the guy died...but I don't blame the officer. it was an unfortunate accident. They want it rectified, rectified how exactly??

JonJon
by Ruby Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:26 AM
6 moms liked this

Quoting dustinsmom1:

That's really sad. The cop probably feels like shit about it, how the hell was he supposed to know the guy was deaf?? I hate when families bring lawsuits over something like this..the cop was trying to do his job, using non-lethal force, its unfortunate the guy died...but I don't blame the officer. it was an unfortunate accident. They want it rectified, rectified how exactly??

"Something like this?" as if the old dude was merely bruised from rough handling?  The old dude is dead and he probably could have lived at least another 10 years if his worst health issues were being hard of hearing and mentally diminshed.

"Unfortunate" is an unfortunate choice of words; his death was tragic.  I never know why they say "tragic death" on the news when there is no other kind of death but all of a sudden I see that there are people who seem to believe there are deaths that aren't tragic.

Considering the old man is dead, I'd say the force used was lethal.  The only force needed was to hold onto the bicycle.  Hell, even I probably could have chased down that bike and held it!  As the old dude was doing nothing more than riding his bike, he's not actually required to stop just because the cop told him to and I wonder why the cops showed up instead of what we call Medic One in this area responding to the witness'call.  The report was that a bike rider fell and was believed injured; why did 911 dispatch the cops instead of a medical response team?  I feel sorry for the guy who called; he's probably wishing he hadn't, now that the guy whose health he was concerned about is dead by police brutality.

The family is going to have it rectified the way that makes the best impact on white men, by making them pay.  Someone has to pay the man's funeral expenses and pay for the years he should have lived...how much is each remaining year of YOUR life worth?  I watched Donald Trump put a value on America and he determined that each American is worth, on average, 29 million dollars.  Do the math and you might get some idea of how much I'd ask that town to pay for robbing the old man and my family of his remaining years if I were related to him.

What galls me is that if the cop destroyed some white guy's house by breaking down the door and tearing up furniture and the walls looking for drugs and then come to find out they had the wrong house, no one would question the guy suing for property damage.  Well, the old man's body and his life was his property so maybe I've given you a different perspective that makes the family's intent to sue more rational and logical to you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)