Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dan Rather Says ‘Big Money Owns Everything … Including the News

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:41 AM
  • 42 Replies

In a recent speech, Dan Rather, once one of the few voices trusted to moderate our in-home information supply, called the current state of the news business “upside down and backwards.” Inspired by Occupy Wall Street, Rather issued a call to get back to proper journalism, and he suggested that the job would fall to independent journalists.

(Hat tip to David Sirota)

Dan Rather via Reader Supported News:

Of course freedom of the press and of speech both come with pitfalls. People can peddle opinions as if they were facts. Those armed with the big, expensive megaphones drown out those blowing whistles.

But now, we see our fellow citizens taking to the streets. And, that my friends, is our cue to get back to work. As the People of our nation begin rising up, they expect the business of news to be about inquiry and accountability.

And, luckily for us, we can still do that ... but it may not be within the confines of big corporate media. As you know, we are living in an age when big money owns everything ... including the news.

Read more

by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sherry132
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:44 AM
1 mom liked this

I really didn't actually need Dan Rather to tell me that. I've known it for a while. But it's an interesting article to see someone actually SAY it. I wonder what the death certificate will say the cause of death was.

stormcris
by Christy on Dec. 3, 2011 at 2:13 AM
1 mom liked this

We are so screwed.

Happymamax2
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:19 AM
2 moms liked this
Dan Rather is a well known and trusted figure in the news. I wish more people like him would speak out on this subject, and I hope they do it in a hurry while people are still listening.... Scary times....
Lillias
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 9:05 AM

Who are all the people who 'own big money'?  Money is not conscious, people are.  Money is used and abused for many purposes.  But it doesn't work alone.  It can be used for bad or good reasons.  And we see the bad in money more than we see the good.  We see it everyday in the media.  People and corporations with 'big money' manipulate the media.

LoriKeet
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 9:18 AM

I guess he's still bitter after the whole "RAthERGATE" incident?!!  LOL

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 10:20 AM
1 mom liked this

are you saying big money DOESN'T own the news?

Quoting LoriKeet:

stormcris
by Christy on Dec. 3, 2011 at 10:24 AM

this might explain who they are to a small extent

http://english.pravda.ru/business/finance/18-10-2011/119355-The_Large_Families_that_rule_the_world-0/

Quoting Lillias:

Who are all the people who 'own big money'?  Money is not conscious, people are.  Money is used and abused for many purposes.  But it doesn't work alone.  It can be used for bad or good reasons.  And we see the bad in money more than we see the good.  We see it everyday in the media.  People and corporations with 'big money' manipulate the media.

Fear of serious injury alone cannot justify oppression of free speech and assembly. Men feared witches and burnt women. It is the function of speech to free men from the bondage of irrational fears.
Louis D. Brandeis
SuperChicken
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 10:51 AM

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting LoriKeet:

Of course big money owns the news.  But don't be fooled into thinking they only own Fox.   They own the left biased media too.

LoriKeet
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this

The LIBERAL media primarily owns the news!!

As one other poster said, MONEY doesn't own anything!  It is used by PEOPLE to purchase things...like presidencies.  But that's a thread for another day! :o)

And Dan RAthER is still bitter!! LOL

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting LoriKeet:

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:49 AM
I don't think they own just fox

Quoting SuperChicken:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting LoriKeet:

Of course big money owns the news.  But don't be fooled into thinking they only own Fox.   They own the left biased media too.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)