Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Black college student sparks debate by hanging Confederate flag in dorm room

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:24 AM
  • 298 Replies

COLUMBIA, S.C. — A black college student who drew complaints for displaying a Confederate flag in his dorm room window said he sees the banner as a symbol of Southern pride and not racism.

The 19-year-old student at the University of South Carolina Beaufort took the flag down at the university's request, but he said he's considering putting it back up after the officials relented. Byron Thomas has drawn nearly 70,000 views since he posted a video online in which he acknowledges: "I know it's kind of weird because I'm black."

In a telephone interview Thursday, Thomas said a class research project made him come to the belief that the flag's real meaning has been hijacked. He said he wants people to thoughtfully consider issues of race and not just knee-jerk reactions to such symbols.

"When I look at this flag, I don't see racism. I see respect, Southern pride," he said. "This flag was seen as a communication symbol" during the Civil War.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/black-college-student-sparks-debate-hanging-confederate-flag-dorm-room-i-kind-weird-black-article-1.985611#ixzz1fTRDGsUi

Fear of serious injury alone cannot justify oppression of free speech and assembly. Men feared witches and burnt women. It is the function of speech to free men from the bondage of irrational fears.
Louis D. Brandeis
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dustinsmom1
by JENN on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:28 AM
7 moms liked this

Bravo to this young man for standing up for what he believes!

merry christmas glitter Pictures, Images and Photos

Thomigirl
by Platinum Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:54 AM
1 mom liked this

I see...people are getting REAL greedy for their 15 minutes.  Do you young un, do you.

dustinsmom1
by JENN on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:22 AM

Quoting Thomigirl:

I see...people are getting REAL greedy for their 15 minutes.  Do you young un, do you.

Wow, because YOU don't agree w/ it, he's not "doing him"? You Don't know anything about this boy except his skin color, and you've already determined that there could be no other reason for his flying this flag then to try to become a news story? That's sad Thomi.

Tanya93
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:45 AM
2 moms liked this

Can that be translated into correct English?

Quoting Thomigirl:

romalove
by Roma on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:47 AM
2 moms liked this

I suppose it's a good thing this young man is in college.  Maybe he will get some education.

Tanya93
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:48 AM
2 moms liked this

Because he knows it has been hijacked by racists he needs more education?

Quoting romalove:

I suppose it's a good thing this young man is in college.  Maybe he will get some education.

romalove
by Roma on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:51 AM
3 moms liked this

Quoting Tanya93:

Because he knows it has been hijacked by racists he needs more education?

Quoting romalove:

There are all kinds of reasons he needs education, including about being respectful of other people's feelings.  If you are correct (and I don't think you are) that the only reason to dislike the flag is because it was "hijacked by racists" then this young man should know that it's going to cause pain to at least some who see him displaying it.  Is that really the best decor choice in a college dorm, something that will stir up painful feelings in others?

But I digress.  There is no need to have a flag for "Southern pride", there is no need to have regional pride in the United States, something that further wedges people apart.  The flag was a rebellion flag against the entire country, and no matter how many protestations I hear otherwise, states rights was by and large about the right for states to retain slaves.

Why do you think it was "hijacked" by racists?

stormcris
by Christy on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:52 AM
1 mom liked this

He isn't the only one to change their mind.

Terri Williams, a black journalist for the Suffolk “Virginia Pilot” newspaper, writes: “I’ve had to re-examine my feelings toward the [Confederate] flag…It started when I read a newspaper article about an elderly black man whose ancestor worked with the Confederate forces. The man spoke with pride about his family member’s contribution to the cause, was photographed with the [Confederate] flag draped over his lap…that’s why I now have no definite stand on just what the flag symbolizes, because it no longer is their history, or my history, but our history.”

Quoting romalove:

Fear of serious injury alone cannot justify oppression of free speech and assembly. Men feared witches and burnt women. It is the function of speech to free men from the bondage of irrational fears.
Louis D. Brandeis
romalove
by Roma on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting stormcris:

Terri Williams, a black journalist for the Suffolk “Virginia Pilot” newspaper, writes: “I’ve had to re-examine my feelings toward the [Confederate] flag…It started when I read a newspaper article about an elderly black man whose ancestor worked with the Confederate forces. The man spoke with pride about his family member’s contribution to the cause, was photographed with the [Confederate] flag draped over his lap…that’s why I now have no definite stand on just what the flag symbolizes, because it no longer is their history, or my history, but our history.”

Quoting romalove:

Sorry, I think this is stupid.  I really do.  What is so prideful about a time when the South was so bent on keeping slaves that it seceded in order to retain that right?  What is so prideful about a flag that flew over a losing cause?  Why must the South have "pride" as a region anyway?  It keeps those bad feelings between North and South alive. 

Tanya93
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:54 AM
2 moms liked this

If you don't get pride in being Southern, then nothing posted here explaining will be good enough for you.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting stormcris:

Quoting romalove:

Sorry, I think this is stupid.  I really do.  What is so prideful about a time when the South was so bent on keeping slaves that it seceded in order to retain that right?  What is so prideful about a flag that flew over a losing cause?  Why must the South have "pride" as a region anyway?  It keeps those bad feelings between North and South alive. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)