Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Newt Gingrich: 'We've Had People Take Their Food Stamp Money And Use It To Go To Hawaii'

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 10:27 AM
  • 287 Replies

Newt Gingrich: 'We've Had People Take Their Food Stamp Money And Use It To Go To Hawaii'

Newt Gingrich Hawaii
Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich claimed "we've had people take their food stamp money and use it to go to Hawaii."

Newt Gingrich made the claim that some people who receive government aid through the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program "take their food stamp money and use it to go to Hawaii."

"More Americans now get food stamps therefore and we now give it away as cash," Gingrich said. "You don't get food stamps. You get a credit card and the credit card can be used for anything. We've had people take their food stamp money and use it to go to Hawaii."

Gingrich -- who has recently led in the polls -- made the claim about the program during an appearance in Iowa on Wednesday, according to ThinkProgress.

The claim is false according to PolitiFact, which notes the food stamp program has "precise rules about what can and cannot be paid for." The site noted that the food stamp program does not allow funds to be used for restaurant meals and certain purchases like alcohol or vitamins.

This is not the first time Gingrich has commented on food stamps. In May, he called Barack Obama a "food stamp president," blaming him for the recession.

"President Obama is the most successful food stamp president in American history," Gingrich said. "I would like to be the most successful paycheck president in American history."

Taken the lying Reagan route..demonize the poorest Americans who DIDN'T cause the economy to collapse and have NO POWER in the GOVERNMENT that is 14 TRILLION in debt

by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 10:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
katzmeow726
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 10:30 AM
8 moms liked this
Um...can I trade in our current foodstamp card for the one that pays for a trip to hawaii. All we can get is food...darn.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 10:34 AM
15 moms liked this
He is such a liar.
Now...if he wanted to talk about politicians using taxpayer money to go on expensive trips that are basically vacations, then we can talk!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 10:39 AM
4 moms liked this
Wow, I guess the airlines must really be hurting if they accept food stamps. Sorry Newt, people on food stamps have bigger problems then where they should take their vocation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
krysstizzle
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 10:40 AM
1 mom liked this
Somebody forgot to issue me that Hawaii foodstamp card. All we can use ours for is food from the grocery store. Laaaaame!
I'll say it again, he's a real dooouuuuche!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
miss_lisa
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 10:42 AM
4 moms liked this
Really Republicans? This is the guy you want to put up against Obama? *smh*
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SuperChicken
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 10:46 AM
1 mom liked this

Well sign me up for food stamps!  I've always wanted to go to Hawaii!  Lol. 

JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 10:48 AM
7 moms liked this
What frustrates me more than his statement is that there are people out there who will just believe him. SHDH.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romalove
by Roma on Dec. 3, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Can I use it to go to Aruba?  Just as nice but closer to my house.

Now how do I get a SNAP card?  I'm gonna call it my Vacation Club.

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 10:51 AM
1 mom liked this
What a liar!!!! There is no way you can go to hawaii using food stamps that card will only pay for food and in cases of those on TANIFF they are also limited.
glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 10:53 AM

tell me about it and btw good thing you are not in school you might have been made to write an appology LOL

Quoting krysstizzle:

Somebody forgot to issue me that Hawaii foodstamp card. All we can use ours for is food from the grocery store. Laaaaame!
I'll say it again, he's a real dooouuuuche!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)