Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Refusing the poloygraph

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 3:37 PM
  • 54 Replies

When you hear of someone refusing to take a polygraph test, do you automatically assume they must be guilty?

If you were a suspect in a high profile crime, or any crime for that matter, and were in fact innocent, would you take the test to prove this?  Would you refuse the test and if so, why?

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou

by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 3:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
4music
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 3:39 PM

I assume they are taking the advice of their lawyers.

baquick
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 3:40 PM
I would do anything to prove my innocence. I got accused of stealing a wallet once, and had to take one.

But they aren't all that accurate. You have to believe te lie. Your BP won't change that way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RissyLee
by Rissy on Dec. 3, 2011 at 3:42 PM

I don't assume they're guilty of the crime they're being accused of.

I don't know if I would take the test.  Polygraph tests are supposed to be really easy to fake, and I don't even think they're admissible in court anymore.  I probably wouldn't want to waste my time.

3xangel
by Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 3:43 PM
This, but I wouldn't have a problem with taking one to prove my innocence & clear my name asap.

Quoting 4music:

I assume they are taking the advice of their lawyers.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Carpy
by Emerald Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 3:44 PM

I would refuse.  The polygraph is not admissable because it is to unreliable,

Carpy
by Emerald Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 3:45 PM

It never was admissable.

Quoting RissyLee:

I don't know if I would take the test.  Polygraph tests are supposed to be really easy to fake, and I don't even think they're admissible in court anymore.  I probably wouldn't want to waste my time.

RissyLee
by Rissy on Dec. 3, 2011 at 3:48 PM

Oh interesting.  I thought they used to be.  Seems pointless for anyone to have ever taken one, then.

Quoting Carpy:

It never was admissable.

Quoting RissyLee:

ParanormalSarah
by Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 3:52 PM
Polygraphs give false negatives a lot, so id avoid them
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Haha_ma
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 3:53 PM

No, I don't, and I wouldn't take a polygraph. Those things are inadmissible in court for a reason.  They're unreliable. 

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Dec. 3, 2011 at 3:58 PM

I would never agree to take one.  

As pointed out above, they are easy to 'fail' and considering they cannot be admissible in court, I see no point to them, at all.

Many people, however, automatically assume one is guilty because they refuse or fail the test.

Years ago, I knew someone who failed a polygraph.  He was indeed innocent of the crime they suspected him of.  Due to his failing that test he lost his job.  Of course his place of employment did not come right out and state that was their reason.  We all knew, however.  Months later, when it was indeed proven he was innocent many people felt like complete fools for assuming.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)