Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cain announces he's Suspending his Campaign

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 4:42 PM
  • 30 Replies

Cain announces he's suspending his campaign

By SHANNON McCAFFREY Associated Press The Associated Press
Saturday, December 3, 2011 3:06 PM EST
    •  
    • Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain, right, bows and his wife Gloria... (AP Photo/David Tulis)

ATLANTA (AP) - The Cain train has come to a stop.        {Breaking News}

Herman Cain suspended his bid for the Republican presidential nomination on Saturday following a steady drumbeat of sexual misconduct allegations he said were harming his family and drowning out his ability to deliver his message.

With just one month to go until the lead-off Iowa caucuses, Cain's announcement is tantamount to a concession. Still, he told supporters, he planned to continue his efforts to influence Washington and announced "Plan B" - what he called a grassroots effort to return government to the people.

Cain denounced the accusations of impropriety against him as "false and unproven" but said that they had been hurtful to his family, particularly his wife, Gloria.

"So as of today, with a lot of prayer and soul-searching, I am suspending my presidential campaign. I am suspending my presidential campaign because of the continued distractions and the continued hurt caused on me and my family," a tired-looking Cain told about a 400 supporters.

It was a remarkable turnabout for a man that just weeks ago vaulted out of nowhere to the top of the GOP field, fueled by a populist, outsider appeal and his catchy 9-9-9 tax overhaul plan.

Saturday's event was a bizarre piece of political theater even for a campaign that has seemed to thrive on defying convention.

Cain marked the end of his bid at what was supposed to be the grand opening of his new campaign headquarters in Atlanta. Minutes before he took the stage to pull the plug with his wife, Gloria, at his side, aides and supporters took to the podium to urge attendees to vote for Cain and travel to early voting states to rev up support for his bid.

"Join the Cain train," David McCleary, Cain's Georgia director, urged the audience.

Cain said he would offer an endorsement in the near future and he predicted a scramble among Republicans in the field to win the backing of his conservative, tea party base.

Former GOP rivals quickly issued statements Saturday praising Cain's conservative credentials and appeal. His withdrawal could help those seeking to run as an alternative to former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, seen by some as too moderate.

by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 4:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rfurlongg
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 4:43 PM
I am shocked.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
autumn129
by AutumLeaves on Dec. 3, 2011 at 4:45 PM

I think he made the best decision,for all involved.  Esp.for his Wife and family.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 4:46 PM
4 moms liked this
Thank God he will be making an endorsement

He has shown such good judgement I just am waiting with baited breath to hear who he thinks is the best!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoriKeet
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 4:46 PM

Oh well.

-Eilish-
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Meh.

wickedfiress
by Kellie on Dec. 3, 2011 at 6:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Thank God he will be making an endorsement

He has shown such good judgement I just am waiting with baited breath to hear who he thinks is the best!!!

That's exactly what I was thinking!

It's amazing how people don't hold themselves to the standards they set for others.

romalove
by Roma on Dec. 3, 2011 at 6:19 PM
3 moms liked this

He has as much chance of winning now as he did when he was running.

I say that makes this a non-news item.

gludwig2000
by Gina on Dec. 3, 2011 at 6:27 PM

I still can't believe that he honestly thought he had a chance of winning the Presidency. It wouldn't have happened, the GOP would not have allowed it.

Momniscient
by Obama licker on Dec. 3, 2011 at 6:49 PM
2 moms liked this

lol.

When I think of the rep noms I imagine Mitt Romney rubbing his hands together in glee.

autumn129
by AutumLeaves on Dec. 3, 2011 at 6:51 PM

I think Cain quitting is a good idea.  Only he should've quit sooner?  Like when the news report first came out about his sexual harassment allegations.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)