Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Food Stamps and Purchases

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 9:03 PM
  • 191 Replies
2 moms liked this

So, in another post, people were kind of upset over what some people on foodstamps buy.

Honestly, I suspect that if you look at food stamps versus "regular" food budgets, you'd find that food stamp users will have a similar variation to the rest of us...some healthy food, some junk food a lot of in-between.

So, here are the questions:

Should food stamp users be required to only purchase foods that "approved"?

Who should make up the approved foods list?

Should the foods be limited to rice/beans/veggies or should they be allowed meat and dairy products?

Me, I think that they should be able to buy whatever they can with the funds allocated. Sometimes, that will mean scrimping a little to get a luxury once in a while.

And for those of you who say "Well, it's my tax money so I should get to decide!", it's my tax money too and, in many cases, it is THEIR tax money as well.

by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 9:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tooptimistic
by Kelly on Dec. 3, 2011 at 9:12 PM
19 moms liked this

Only on Cafemom is this an issue..

I don't know anyone in real life who really cares what the person in front of them has in their shoping carts.. whether its someone on food stamps or someone paying with real money.

Who cares what other people choose to eat?

katy_kay08
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 9:12 PM
I agree with you completely.
itsallabtthem84
by Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 9:14 PM

Quoting tooptimistic:

I don't know anyone in real life who really cares what the person in front of them has in their shoping carts.. whether its someone on food stamps or someone paying with real money.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katy_kay08
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 9:16 PM
3 moms liked this
Quoting tooptimistic:

It's an issue in the real world as well. Years ago after leaving an abusive husband I needed additional help. At that time foodstamps came in booklets so everyone in line around you knew how you were paying for your groceries. I had a woman berate me for being on foodstamps and went so far as to call me trash in front of my children for using them. I had healthy food in the cart because back then you got $200 a month to purchase foods, you were always scrimping to make it work.
OneToughMami
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 9:20 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't necessarily care what anyone eats at the grocery store. I wish everyone food stamps or not would by actual meals and some healthy snacks. I mean yeah soda every now and again and some junk food but if that's your entire cart...food stamps or not...that's kind of disheartening...but whatevs...they want to eat like that let em

OneToughMami
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 9:21 PM

I should add I have never told someone their cart was full of junk...I have had a cashier comment on what I was buying once...and I said to her "well not matter how someone pays it's not really your business what they are eating." I'm not a fan of holier than thou cashiers.

tooptimistic
by Kelly on Dec. 3, 2011 at 9:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting katy_kay08:

Quoting tooptimistic:

It's an issue in the real world as well. Years ago after leaving an abusive husband I needed additional help. At that time foodstamps came in booklets so everyone in line around you knew how you were paying for your groceries. I had a woman berate me for being on foodstamps and went so far as to call me trash in front of my children for using them. I had healthy food in the cart because back then you got $200 a month to purchase foods, you were always scrimping to make it work.

I am sorry.. That's not right on so many levels..

I stand by who cares what's in someone else's cart..  :)

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 9:24 PM
8 moms liked this

Yes, I get so tired of this argument.  I never pay one slightest bit of attention to even know who is using a SNAP card, nor would I judge what people have in their carts.  It's just ridiculous the amount of outrage people have about this issue, which is so minute compared to things that really matter.  Not only that, SNAP benefits pay out in a couple of ways.  They help grocery stores, food manufacturing and distribution, all that.  The benefit to the country from food stamps is substantial.  So instead of flipping out about people that like their pop (yes, I am a midwesterner, I call it pop) I suggest we start paying attention to the waste and dishonestly that pervades this country in more ways than what some struggling family spends on food.    It's just such a small, stupid side issue.  It's meaningless.  And I am disgusted to hear people puffing themselves up and lecturing other grown people about their opinions about what kind of food they buy.  Give me a fucking break.

ZoeysMom11
by Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 9:24 PM
2 moms liked this

in my opinion i believe they should be allowed to buy whatever they want. if they blow it on junk food and unhealthy crap then that is their choice. we are on foodstamps, but use them wisely. a little here and there throughout the month and hardly ever use them to buy junk food.

Tanya93
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 9:24 PM
2 moms liked this
You are going to get few legit responses here.

It will be:

How dare you judge these people!

You are jealous I am buying stuff on your dollar.

Why do you hate the poor?

Thinking people on FS should be responsible with their purchases is mean, greedy, and hateful for most of this board.

But yes, their purchases on taxpayer money should be limited.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)